Lake Mburo National Park is a small but beautiful park dominated by the eponymous lake.
The lake itself is the largest of five lakes within the park and all are fringed by thick riparian forest and patches of papyrus swamp. Surrounding the lakes are rolling hills and moving away from the lake shores, the forest gives way to a mosaic of open savannah and acacia woodland that once stretched southwards to the Tanzania border and beyond.
Wildlife of Mburo National Park
Although elephant and lion have not been observed within the park recently, there is still a healthy population of game including numerous topi, bushbuck, oribi, duiker, Defassa waterbuck, buffalo, warthog and hippos in the lakes. Lake Mburo is also home to the only population of impala in Uganda and apart from the remote northern parks, is the only place to see Burchell's zebra and eland in Uganda.
Over 300 species of birds have been recorded within Lake Mburo and it is probably the best place in Uganda for acacia-associated birds. The permanent and seasonal wetland areas that connect the lakes are home to a number of papyrus endemic birds species including the papyrus gonolek, the blue-headed coucal and the white-winged and papyrus yellow warblers.
Suggested itinerary featuring Lake Mburo
This sample itinerary will give you an idea of what is possible when you travel in Lake Mburo, and showcases routes we know work particularly well. Treat this as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Lake Mburo
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Lake Mburo
- Queen Elizabeth National Park 116 kilometers away
- Lake Bunyonyi 135 kilometers away
- Ishasha 147 kilometers away
- Bwindi Impenetrable Forest 148 kilometers away
- Mgahinga National Park 166 kilometers away
- Kibale Forest National Park 178 kilometers away
- Entebbe 187 kilometers away
- Semliki Wildlife Reserve 191 kilometers away
- Ngamba Island Chimpanzee Sanctuary 200 kilometers away
- Kampala 211 kilometers away
- Jinja 278 kilometers away
- Murchison Falls National Park 330 kilometers away
Photos of Lake Mburo
Accommodation choices for Lake Mburo
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Lake Mburo. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.