Visit St Augustine, US
Situated on Florida's northeast coast, St. Augustine has a distinct historic character and is a unique place to visit.
Founded in 1565 by Spanish admiral Dom Pedro Menendez de Aviles, it is reported to be one of the oldest communities in the United States. A stroll along the narrow lanes reveals Spanish, English and Native American influences in the lovely architecture, museum and various historical landmarks. Originally the state capital, St Augustine is a popular stop for visitors.
Far removed from Disneyworld, its cobbled streets are shaded from the Florida sun by the cool spread of palms and moss-strewn live-oaks. The biggest attraction is the 17th century Fort Castillo de San Marco which sits by the sparkling harbour. Despite having changed hands from the Spanish Empire, to Great Britain, to the Confederate State, then the United States of America, the fortress's coquina walls crafted from sea shells and coral have withstood war and storms for over 300 years.
Other notable architectural sites include the impressive powder blue Memorial Presbyterian Church and the terracotta spires of Flagler College with its Moorish fretwork along with the Spanish district's worn clapboard shops smothered in pink bougainvillea.
Map of St Augustine
Places & hotels on the map
Places near St Augustine
- Fernandina Beach 88 kilometers away
- Jekyll Island 132 kilometers away
- Orlando 152 kilometers away
- Crystal River 167 kilometers away
- Cape Canaveral 181 kilometers away
- Florida 233 kilometers away
- Savannah 244 kilometers away
- Tampa 244 kilometers away
- Clearwater 260 kilometers away
- Tallahassee 292 kilometers away
- Anna Maria Island 300 kilometers away
- Sarasota 310 kilometers away
- Charleston 347 kilometers away
- Fort Myers 367 kilometers away
- Sanibel Island & Captiva Island 393 kilometers away
- Naples 421 kilometers away
- Panama City Beach 435 kilometers away
- Miami 473 kilometers away