Visit Great Barrier Island, New Zealand
Just a 30-minute flight from Auckland and beautifully unspoiled, Great Barrier Island is a natural haven for wildlife and lovers of nature. The interior is laced with walking paths through magnificent forests, hot springs and historical kauri dams.
The best paths are found in Great Barrier Forest where, after a couple of hours’ tramping, you can reach Hirakimata, the island’s highest point, with views across to the Coromandel and Auckland. On the coast, Great Barrier also has some of the North Island’s finest surf beaches, with crystal-clear diving offshore.
The sheer isolation of the island is an attractive factor and it is the ideal place for a tranquil retreat.
Map of Great Barrier Island
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Great Barrier Island
- Warkworth 45 miles away
- Waiheke Island 47 miles away
- Coromandel Peninsula 54 miles away
- Devonport 56 miles away
- Auckland 58 miles away
- Thames & Kauaeranga Valley 66 miles away
- Waikato 91 miles away
- Russell 98 miles away
- Paihia 98 miles away
- Bay of Islands 100 miles away
- Kerikeri 107 miles away
- Tauranga 112 miles away
- The Kauri Coast 112 miles away
- Matauri Bay 117 miles away
- Bay of Plenty 121 miles away
- Rotorua 143 miles away
- Waitomo 145 miles away
- 90 Mile Beach & Cape Reinga 170 miles away
- Lake Taupo 176 miles away
- Tongariro National Park 211 miles away
- Taranaki & New Plymouth 212 miles away
- Eastland & Gisborne 223 miles away
- Napier 243 miles away
- Hawke's Bay 250 miles away
- Hastings 251 miles away
- Whanganui National Park 260 miles away
Photos of Great Barrier Island
Accommodation choices for Great Barrier Island
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Great Barrier Island. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
Nestled between the native tree canopy and pristine white beaches, the Earthsong Lodge's luxurious ocean view suites all feature French doors that open onto a private verandah, offering panoramic views of the Hauraki Gulf.