Visit Waiheke Island, New Zealand
Vineyards, olive groves, white sand beaches, rocky foreshores and relaxed seaside villages set the tone for Waiheke Island.
Just off the coast from Auckland, it is a refuge for an alternative community of artisans and organic farmers.
At the last count, Waiheke had over 25 wineries, several of which can be visited for tastings, and there are also endless trails in the less developed eastern part of the island.
Getting to Waiheke Island
Waiheke can easily be reached from Auckland by a 30-minute ferry crossing, or by a fixed wing aircraft or helicopter from the airport, making it ideal for a couple of days’ relaxation after a long international flight.
Our itineraries will give you suggestions for what is possible when you travel in Waiheke Island, and they showcase routes we know work particularly well. Treat them as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Waiheke Island
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Waiheke Island
- Devonport 14 miles away
- Auckland 16 miles away
- Warkworth 35 miles away
- Thames & Kauaeranga Valley 38 miles away
- Coromandel Peninsula 42 miles away
- Waikato 44 miles away
- Great Barrier Island 47 miles away
- Tauranga 88 miles away
- Bay of Plenty 101 miles away
- Waitomo 102 miles away
- The Kauri Coast 113 miles away
- Rotorua 115 miles away
- Paihia 118 miles away
- Russell 118 miles away
- Bay of Islands 122 miles away
- Kerikeri 125 miles away
- Matauri Bay 137 miles away
- Lake Taupo 143 miles away
- North Island 158 miles away
- Taranaki & New Plymouth 165 miles away
- Tongariro National Park 171 miles away
- 90 Mile Beach & Cape Reinga 183 miles away
- Eastland & Gisborne 209 miles away
- Napier 213 miles away
- Whanganui National Park 217 miles away
- Hawke's Bay 220 miles away
- Hastings 221 miles away
- The Kapiti Coast 283 miles away
- Collingwood & Farewell Spit 297 miles away
- Greytown 297 miles away
Photos of Waiheke Island
Accommodation choices for Waiheke Island
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Waiheke Island. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
Delamore Lodge is molded into the hillside at Owhanake Bay, overlooking the stunning Hauraki Gulf. Its beautifully appointed guest suites make the most of the ocean views, and offer plenty of luxury.
The Boatshed on beautiful Waiheke Island is just 35 minutes by ferry from Auckland, and offers luxury accommodation and great food in a relaxed island setting.