Stretching out into the Pacific Ocean, the little-visited and unspoilt Eastland harbors some of New Zealand’s most dramatic scenery.
As the Pacific Coast Highway hugs the shore all the way from Opotiki to Te Araroa, it passes through tunnels of ancient pohutukawa forest, tiny settlements rich in Maori culture, and spectacular, deserted bays.
Gisborne, the country’s most easterly city, is renowned for its long hours of sunshine and fertile plains, producing many subtropical fruits and some of the country’s best chardonnays.
The inland route back to Opotiki climbs steadily up to Matawai, then plunges into the magnificent Waioeka River Gorge which runs back down to the Pacific Ocean.
Suggested itineraries featuring Eastland & Gisborne
Our itineraries will give you suggestions for what is possible when you travel in Eastland & Gisborne, and they showcase routes we know work particularly well. Treat them as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Eastland & Gisborne
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Eastland & Gisborne
- Napier 83 miles away
- Hawke's Bay 85 miles away
- Hastings 93 miles away
- North Island 103 miles away
- Rotorua 104 miles away
- Lake Taupo 106 miles away
- Bay of Plenty 109 miles away
- Tauranga 122 miles away
- Tongariro National Park 140 miles away
- Waitomo 162 miles away
- Thames & Kauaeranga Valley 172 miles away
- Coromandel Peninsula 173 miles away
- Whanganui National Park 183 miles away
- Waikato 201 miles away
- Waiheke Island 209 miles away
- Taranaki & New Plymouth 215 miles away
- Greytown 216 miles away
- Wairarapa & surrounds 218 miles away
- Devonport 218 miles away
- Auckland 219 miles away
- The Kapiti Coast 223 miles away
- Great Barrier Island 223 miles away
- Martinborough 224 miles away
- Warkworth 243 miles away
- Wellington 251 miles away
- Marlborough Sounds 271 miles away
- Picton 281 miles away
- Blenheim 293 miles away