Visit Lake Tekapo, New Zealand
This turquoise lake often perfectly reflects the snow capped mountains on every side.
Finely ground particles of rock brought down by the glaciers at the head of the lake and then held in suspension create ‘rock flour’, giving the waters their effervescent turquoise color.
The small town, with sweeping views, serves as a base on the route from Christchurch to Mount Cook.
Suggested itineraries featuring Lake Tekapo
Our itineraries will give you suggestions for what is possible when you travel in Lake Tekapo, and they showcase routes we know work particularly well. Treat them as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Lake Tekapo
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Lake Tekapo
- Twizel 26 miles away
- Mount Cook National Park 27 miles away
- Fox & Franz Josef Glaciers 44 miles away
- Haast & Lake Moeraki 72 miles away
- Lake Wanaka 83 miles away
- Arthur's Pass National Park 91 miles away
- Hokitika 93 miles away
- Arrowtown 104 miles away
- Christchurch 113 miles away
- Queenstown 115 miles away
- Glenorchy 119 miles away
- Akaroa & Banks Peninsula 125 miles away
- The Otago Peninsula 130 miles away
- Dunedin 130 miles away
- Milford Sound 135 miles away
- Punakaiki 138 miles away
- Hanmer Springs 157 miles away
- Te Anau & Manapouri 168 miles away
- The Catlins 192 miles away
- Doubtful Sound 195 miles away
- Kaikoura 196 miles away
- Kahurangi National Park 234 miles away
- Nelson 237 miles away
- Stewart & Ulva Islands 240 miles away
- Blenheim 247 miles away
- Abel Tasman National Park 248 miles away
- Collingwood & Farewell Spit 256 miles away
- Picton 260 miles away
- Marlborough Sounds 270 miles away
- Wellington 289 miles away
Accommodation choices for Lake Tekapo
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Lake Tekapo. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.