In Oman, making the decision to get behind the wheel on a self-drive itinerary opens up this fascinating country even more. You're free to explore at your own pace, and it allows you to get off-the-beaten-track.
In many cases, a hire-car is only really necessary for 4 or 5 days spent exploring the mountains and desert outside Muscat, although for those who really like to be independent it's worth considering having a car whilst staying in Muscat too. The capital city is rather spread out, and some of the hotels are miles away from the central parts.
Having the use of a car will allow you to visit the souqs and restaurants without having the need for taxis.
Start planning your self-drive trip to Oman
Benefits of a self-drive vacation in Oman:
- You have total freedom to get off-the-beaten-track.
- A hire car offers a greater degree of flexibility, comfort and privacy.
- Petrol is enviably cheap.
- Oman has a good to excellent road network, and armed with an up-to-date map it is very accessible.
- We can arrange all aspects of your self-drive trip including flights, accommodation and rental car, as well as making suggestions for sightseeing.
Advice and tips:
- Driving is on the right-hand side of the road.
- Roads are generally well maintained and well sign-posted in English. However, the further you go from Muscat, the more erratic the signposting can be, and it's common for place names to be spelt in two or three different ways.
- Service stations can be miles apart, so fill up when the opportunity arises.
- Check that your hire-car is insured for off-road driving, if this is something that you might like to try. 4x4 vehicles usually are (but it's best to check), and saloon vehicles usually aren't.
- Choose the right type of vehicle for you. For desert driving, wadi-bashing and some of the mountain passes, only a 4x4 will do. If you simply want to visit the larger towns around Muscat, a saloon car is sufficient.
- Take a credit card and your full driving licence (both UK parts). It's impossible to hire a vehicle without one.