Tour Alcatraz and cycle across the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco.
Go whale watching in Monterey, looking out for orca and humpback whales.
Drive along the Pacific Coast Highway with its dramatic views of the rugged coastline and the ocean.
Relax on the soft sands of Pismo Beach.
Enjoy the sparkle and glamour of Hollywood and Beverly Hills in Los Angeles.
The US is a vast and diverse place and getting your travel plans right can make a big difference to your trip. With so much to see and so many regions to choose from, it's worth thinking carefully about which route to take.
Whether it’s the history of the South or the canyons and vast wilderness of the West that appeal to you, we can offer suggestions about the best way to get around, how to explore the highlights and even suggest some sights you’re not likely to find in a guidebook. Our suggested tours are the product of extensive travel across the US and follow routes that work particularly well.
Speak to someone
who's been there
- Make an inquiry
Our recommended tours in the US
These itineraries are designed to give you some suggestions for what is possible when you travel in the US, and they showcase some of the routes that we’ve found work particularly well. Treat them simply as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely for you by one of our specialists based on your particular tastes and interests.
Unfortunately no tours matched your search criteria.
Visit four national parks, including the more remote North Rim of the Grand Canyon.
Marvel at the distinct rock formations in Monument Valley and the ancient Pueblo dwellings of Mesa Verde National Park.
View giant cacti in Saguaro National Park.
Hike the scenic trails in Zion National Park.
Experience the glitz and glamour of Las Vegas.
Stay on Coronado Island, one of the top places to walk to and relax on the beach.
Kayak along the California coastline taking in the natural caves and marine wildlife.
Explore the USS Midway Museum.
Enjoy a variety of small shops and restaurants on Coronado Island.
- Royal Ocean View Terrace offers delicious food with views over to the islands of Lanai and Molokai.
- Experience traditional Hawaiian luau with a buffet dinner and open bar.
- Relax in front of one of the hotel's three large swimming pools.
- Take a romantic sunset sailing tour down the rugged Maui coastline.
- Plantation Gardens restaurant serves Pacific Rim cuisine with a Hawaiian influence.
- Cottage style condos are comfortable and spacious, with verandas that look out onto the gardens or ocean.
- Hotel is situated in 35 acres of manicured gardens reaching out to Poipu beach.
- Situated perfectly to hike, kayak and snorkel on beautiful Kauai.
- Standing on undisturbed Jekyll Island, this historic resort feels refined and exclusive.
- Access to the Jekyll Ocean club offers guests beach chairs, umbrellas and refreshments.
- The island boasts 63 holes of golf and many more outdoor activities.
- Dine at the Wharf restaurant, enjoying delicious Southern dishes while watching the sunset.
- The B&B has four private onsite cottages with fully equipped kitchens.
- The inn is situated a short walk from the main retail district in Santa Barbara.
- A huge variety of fresh, homemade dishes for breakfast.
- An ideal location for exploring, only five minutes to the beach and 20 minutes to the Old Mission.
- Each room is unique, with either views over mountains and beach or fireplaces and Jacuzzi baths.
Discover the revolutionary history of Boston on a guided tour of the Freedom Trail.
Explore the rugged coastline of Maine, dotted with lighthouses and quaint seaside towns.
Wander through the picturesque villages and rolling hills of Vermont.
Take in panoramic views from atop Mount Washington in New Hampshire's magnificent White Mountains.
Go whale watching off the waters of Cape Cod.
Cycle over Golden Gate Bridge to Sausalito.
Take a walk with a local guide and learn about different neighborhoods in San Francisco.
Enjoy a full day of privately guided hiking in Yosemite National Park.
Try rock climbing in Yosemite National Park.
Admire the cacti-studded scenery of southern Arizona, exploring Saguaro National Park.
Enjoy scenic drives through forests, deserts and mountains.
Learn all about the Ancestral Puebloan tribes with visits to their ancient cliff dwellings.
Discover the region's Spanish heritage in Santa Fe and visit old mining towns.
Wander the streets of Nashville, lined with music venues that you can enjoy any time of the day.
Immerse yourself in US Civil Rights history in Memphis at the moving National Civil Rights Museum at the Lorraine Motel.
Explore the grand antebellum homes and plantation mansions along the Mississippi.
Delve into the culinary history of New Orleans, learning how to cook gumbo and jambalaya.
Learn from a local about traditional Cajun cuisine in an open demonstration cooking class.
Explore a number of plantations to discover Louisiana's rich history.
Taste your way around Baton Rouge's many craft breweries.
Visit the country's largest river swamp and spot a bald eagle at the Atchafalaya Basin.
- Hotel Wailea is a luxurious adult only escape and the only Relais & Châteaux property on Hawaii.
- Only a 20 minute walk or complimentary shuttle to the stunning Wailea beach.
- Set in the tranquility of a tropical garden the hotel offers unobstructed views of the ocean and mountains.
- Dinner cooked by chef Jonathan De Paz is a culinary delight using the regions local produce.
- Dine in a dramatic treehouse setting with a seven course private dinner overlooking the ocean.
Hawaii and California
Explore Maui's white-sand beaches.
Experience the heat of Kilauea Volcano.
Snorkel with sea turtles, whales and dolphins.
Between January and March you can also take a boat trip on the Pacific Ocean to see majestic humpback whales at sunrise.
Sit back and take in the scenery as you travel through Alaska by train.
See the mighty mountains and look for wildlife in spectacular Denali National Park.
Take an optional scenic flight in Denali National Park.
Enjoy all meals and guided activities during your stay in the national park.
Explore the foothills of the Rocky Mountains outside of Denver.
Visit the authentic mountain town of Breckenridge.
Enjoy a white water rafting adventure on the Roaring Fork River outside of Aspen.
See wildlife such as moose and elk in Rocky Mountain National Park.
Discover the lavish lifestyles of the rich and famous in Hollywood and Beverly Hills.
Explore the beaches and pretty towns along the Pacific coastline.
Watch for wildlife and get close to nature in Yosemite and Sequoia National Parks.
See the salt flats of Badwater in the desolate Death Valley National Park.
Enjoy wine tasting in the glorious vineyards of the Napa Valley.
Explore the glamour of Hollywood and chic Beverly Hills in Los Angeles.
Follow walking trails and see incredible geological formations in California and Arizona’s national parks.
Drive the iconic Pacific Coast Highway for dramatic views over the ocean and rugged coastline.
Soak up the electric atmosphere of Las Vegas.
Delve into the fascinating history of Mesa Verde National Park.
Explore the mountain city of Denver.
Go white water rafting or explore Arches National Park by 4x4 from Moab.
Breathe in the pure air of Colorado's Rocky Mountains.
- Hotel interior boasts traditional Southern style with light and airy decor.
- Six restaurants offer a wide variety of styles from fine dining to more casual cafés.
- Access to the fantastic May River Golf course, designed by Jack Nicklaus.
- Plenty of salt and freshwater water sports on offer to experience the coastal Carolina Marshlands.
- Set alongside the picturesque May River with accommodation tucked away in-between the trees.
Taste local delicacies such as Southern barbecue and Lowcountry boil.
Walk in the shoes of American royalty at Biltmore House.
Delve into Savannah’s culinary scene.
Watch birds and comb the unspoilt beaches on Jekyll Island.
Explore beautiful, cosmopolitan San Francisco.
Go wine tasting in the Sonoma Valley.
Go hiking at Mount Shasta.
Discover the beauty and tranquility of Crater Lake National Park.
See the enormous redwood trees in Redwood National Park.
Filter by destination
Filter by category
Some of our favorite travel guides
- Self-drive vacations in Florida
- Fall in the US beyond New England
- Driving vacations in the United States
- Where to go in the US
- Self-driving through Arizona & Utah in America’s Southwest
- Hiking in America's southwest national parks
- Route 66 vacations
- Self-driving the Blue Ridge Parkway
- Combine a US city break with a wilderness adventure
- 5 of the best family activities in the US
Self-drive vacations in Florida
Florida is blessed with both an Atlantic and a Gulf of Mexico coast, and there are a number of self-driving routes throughout the state that combine coastal highlights with some of the region’s most recognisable attractions inland. USA specialist, David, drove across the Florida Keys on his recent trip to the USA.View this travel guide
Fall in the US beyond New England
While New England is known for its showstopping fall foliage, there are plenty of other places in the US that can rival the region’s autumnal beauty. Our specialists share worthy alternatives where you can make the most of the changing leaves.View this travel guide
Driving vacations in the United States
Pick the right self-drive vacation in the US for you with our travel guide that looks at some the best drives across America. You’ll find ideas for where to stop along your journey to enjoy this vast country’s national parks, cities, wildlife and history.View this travel guide
Where to go in the US
The US is so huge that it can be hard to narrow down your options when you’re planning a trip. We’ve drawn up a guide to helping you decide which regions to visit, depending on your individual interests.View this travel guide
Self-driving through Arizona & Utah in America’s Southwest
Our specialists will have traveled the routes we offer so you can rest assured that you'll get the most from your self-drive vacation in the US. They'll also plan the best places to stay, things to see and do, and even what car is most suited to your needs. In short, they make sure everything runs smoothly.View this travel guide
Hiking in America's southwest national parks
The US's southwest region is home to some of the most iconic national parks in the country. Experience the visceral beauty of waterfalls cascading over the granite cliffs of Yosemite, the sun baked red-earthed canyons of Zion, or the mighty sequoia trees of Redwoods National Park on a walking trip.View this travel guide
Route 66 vacations
Known as the ‘Mother Road’, Route 66 helped open up America and shape its identity. Whether you choose to drive the whole route or just part of it, your road trip will showcase the country’s culture, history and landscapes.View this travel guide
Self-driving the Blue Ridge Parkway
A self-drive down the Blue Ridge Parkway will take you from nation's capital, Washington D.C. on a journey of discovery through Virginia, North Carolina and Tennessee. You'll uncover historic towns and marvel at the splendid scenery of national parks such as Shenandoah and Great Smoky Mountains.View this travel guide
Combine a US city break with a wilderness adventure
Combining a city break with some of the US's national parks is an ideal way to experience the best of both worlds on a trip to this vast country. Our Country Specialists can help you to decide which cities and parks are best suited to your preferences and needs.View this travel guide
5 of the best family activities in the US
Eating lunch with an astronaut in Houston, snorkeling with Florida’s manatees, or a helicopter flight over the Grand Canyon’s yawning chasm: our US specialists pick five standout family activities you can include in your trip.View this travel guide