Visit Bulawayo, Zimbabwe
Bulawayo is Zimbabwe's second largest city and the capital of Matabeleland, home of the Ndebele tribe.
Over the last few years the city has suffered from lack of investment from Robert Mugabe's predominantly Shona government leaving it looking a bit rough around the edges.
However, it is a still a clean and pleasant city with wide streets and some interesting historical architecture.
Masvingo, the Matopos Hills, Hwange National Park and Victoria Falls are all easily accessible from Bulawayo and with an efficient airport, which is well connected with flights to/from South Africa, it is a useful port of entry for holidays in Zimbabwe.
Map of Bulawayo
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Bulawayo
- Matobo National Park 23 miles away
- Hwange National Park 132 miles away
- Great Zimbabwe 154 miles away
- Lake Kariba 222 miles away
- Matusadona National Park 224 miles away
- Harare 228 miles away
- Gonarezhou National Park 233 miles away
- Victoria Falls 236 miles away
- The Zambezi Riverfront 258 miles away
- Mana Pools National Park 298 miles away
Photos of Bulawayo
Ideas for experiencing Bulawayo
Our specialists seek out authentic ways to get to know the places that could feature in your trip. These activities reflect some of the experiences they've most enjoyed while visiting Bulawayo, and which use the best local guides.
Bulawayo has wide tree lined streets, lush parks, Zimbabwe’s Natural History Museum, a railway museum and Mzilikmzi Art and Craft Centre plus the people are warm and welcoming.