Coffs Harbour owes its name to Captain John Korff, who named the area Korff's Harbour when he was forced to take shelter from a storm in the area in 1847.
Its name was accidentally changed by the surveyor for the crown when he reserved land in the area during 1861. Nowadays, Coffs Harbour is known for its banana plantations, the iconic 'Big Banana' and for its great fishing.
The combination of great weather, stunning hinterland forests, sandy beaches and a growing cosmopolitan centre make Coffs Harbour a popular spot for tourist seeking fun and relaxation.
Map of Coffs Harbour
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Coffs Harbour
- Coffs Coast 8 miles away
- Bellingen 19 miles away
- Byron Bay 119 miles away
- The Northern Rivers 119 miles away
- Lamington National Park 141 miles away
- Port Stephens 178 miles away
- Brisbane 196 miles away
- Hunter Valley 202 miles away
- Sunshine Coast 256 miles away
- Sydney 272 miles away
- The Blue Mountains 289 miles away