Hidden away in the hills north of Nice, Grasse is the hub of the world's perfume industry and surrounded by miles and miles of fields full of lavender, jasmine and roses. A gentle microclimate and good water supply made Grasse an ideal location for plant cultivation, and the town has been at the heart of perfume production since the 16th century.
With a restored old town, views down over the Mediterranean, and a host of museums, perfume factories and scented gardens to explore, Grasse offers a revealing introduction to the perfume industry and its long and complex history.
Although quite different today from the medieval town depicted in Patrick Süskind's novel Perfume, the old town of Grasse has narrow, winding lanes, mansions and public gardens.
Also in the heart of town is the Parfumerie Fragonard, another old family mansion that has been used as a perfumery since 1782. Fragonard took it over in 1926, and it's now open to the public as a museum. You can tour the historic house, see the original equipment, learn about the historic extraction and distillation processes and attend perfume-making workshops.
Suggested itineraries featuring Grasse
Our itineraries will give you suggestions for what is possible when you travel in Grasse, and they showcase routes we know work particularly well. Treat them as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Grasse
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Grasse
- Saint-Paul-de-Vence 17 kilometers away
- Antibes 19 kilometers away
- Nice 26 kilometers away
- Saint-Jean-Cap-Ferrat 33 kilometers away
- Èze 36 kilometers away
- Monaco and Monte Carlo 42 kilometers away
- Saint-Tropez 50 kilometers away
- The French Riviera 51 kilometers away
- Provence 70 kilometers away
- Aix-en-Provence 121 kilometers away
- Roussillon 134 kilometers away
- Ménerbes 140 kilometers away
- Gordes 142 kilometers away
- L'Isle-sur-la-Sorgue 154 kilometers away
- Saint-Rémy-de-Provence 169 kilometers away
- Les-Baux-de-Provence 172 kilometers away
- Avignon 174 kilometers away
- Châteauneuf-du-Pape wine region 174 kilometers away
- Orange 178 kilometers away
- Arles 186 kilometers away
- Pont-du-Gard 195 kilometers away
- Rhône-Alpes 205 kilometers away
- Uzès 205 kilometers away
- Chamonix 242 kilometers away
- Talloires 249 kilometers away
- Annecy 259 kilometers away
- Lyon 287 kilometers away
- Dordogne 428 kilometers away
- Sarlat-la-Canéda 475 kilometers away
- La Roque-Gageac 476 kilometers away
- Castelnaud-la-Chapelle 479 kilometers away
- Beynac-et-Cazenac 480 kilometers away
Photos of Grasse
Accommodation choices for Grasse
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Grasse. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
Boasting excellent service, expansive grounds and an intimate atmosphere, La Bastide Saint-Antoine leaves you feeling like you've visited the home of a wealthy friend with impeccable taste, and makes a great base for exploring the French Riviera.