Hidden away in the hills north of Nice, Grasse is the hub of the world's perfume industry and surrounded by miles and miles of fields full of lavender, jasmine and roses. A gentle microclimate and good water supply made Grasse an ideal location for plant cultivation, and the town has been at the heart of perfume production since the 16th century.
With a restored old town, views down over the Mediterranean, and a host of museums, perfume factories and scented gardens to explore, Grasse offers a revealing introduction to the perfume industry and its long and complex history.
Although quite different today from the medieval town depicted in Patrick Süskind's novel Perfume, the old town of Grasse has narrow, winding lanes, mansions and public gardens.
Also in the heart of town is the Parfumerie Fragonard, another old family mansion that has been used as a perfumery since 1782. Fragonard took it over in 1926, and it's now open to the public as a museum. You can tour the historic house, see the original equipment, learn about the historic extraction and distillation processes and attend perfume-making workshops.
Suggested itineraries featuring Grasse
Our itineraries will give you suggestions for what is possible when you travel in Grasse, and they showcase routes we know work particularly well. Treat them as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Grasse
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Grasse
- Saint-Paul-de-Vence 11 miles away
- Antibes 12 miles away
- Nice 17 miles away
- Saint-Jean-Cap-Ferrat 21 miles away
- Èze 23 miles away
- Monaco and Monte Carlo 26 miles away
- Saint-Tropez 31 miles away
- The French Riviera 32 miles away
- Provence 44 miles away
- Aix-en-Provence 75 miles away
- Roussillon 84 miles away
- Ménerbes 87 miles away
- Gordes 88 miles away
- L'Isle-sur-la-Sorgue 96 miles away
- Saint-Rémy-de-Provence 105 miles away
- Les-Baux-de-Provence 107 miles away
- Avignon 108 miles away
- Châteauneuf-du-Pape wine region 108 miles away
- Orange 111 miles away
- Arles 116 miles away
- Pont-du-Gard 121 miles away
- Rhône-Alpes 128 miles away
- Uzès 128 miles away
- Chamonix 151 miles away
- Talloires 155 miles away
- Annecy 161 miles away
- Lyon 178 miles away
- Dordogne 266 miles away
- Alsace 281 miles away
- Sarlat-la-Canéda 296 miles away
- La Roque-Gageac 296 miles away
- Castelnaud-la-Chapelle 298 miles away
- Beynac-et-Cazenac 298 miles away
Photos of Grasse
Accommodation choices for Grasse
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Grasse. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.