Visit Provence, France
Swathed with lavender fields, dotted with medieval hilltop villages and graced by elegant cities, the southeastern region of Provence stretches from the Rhône in the west to the Italian border in the east and south to the Mediterranean. Its light and landscapes inspired both Paul Cézanne and Vincent Van Gogh, and you can stroll along the leafy boulevards of the former’s home city of Aix-en-Provence and trace the works of the latter in Arles and Saint-Rémy-de-Provence. Whatever your interests, our specialists can help you find your way.
Julius Caesar’s first Gaulish conquest was in Provence, and Rome’s presence here is indelible. The number and scale of the region’s Roman ruins, including the Pont du Gard aqueduct, are on par with what you’d find in Italy. On a walking tour in Avignon, you can explore the papacy’s dalliance with Provence during a 70-year break from the Vatican. Evidence of life here from long before Rome’s acquisition still survives just outside Gordes in a village of ancient stone huts built without mortar, known as bories. Close by, monks tend their bees and make honey at the Romanesque Sénanque Abbey, where you can wander the surrounding lavender fields. Whatever you choose to do, our specialists will be there to guide you.
Places to visit in Provence
Featuring heavily on our experiences of visiting Provence, these selected places are destinations that also prove consistently popular with our travelers. Our specialists can help you choose how to include them in your wider trip, based on your preferences.
Suggested itineraries featuring Provence
Our itineraries will give you suggestions for what is possible when you travel in Provence, and they showcase routes we know work particularly well. Treat them as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Provence
Places & hotels on the map
Places in and around Provence
- Aix-en-Provence Provence
- Arles Provence
- Avignon Provence
- Châteauneuf-du-Pape wine region Provence
- Gordes Provence
- Les-Baux-de-Provence Provence
- L'Isle-sur-la-Sorgue Provence
- Ménerbes Provence
- Orange Provence
- Pont-du-Gard Provence
- Roussillon Provence
- Saint-Rémy-de-Provence Provence
- Uzès Provence
- Grasse 70 kilometers away
- Saint-Paul-de-Vence 82 kilometers away
- Antibes 88 kilometers away
- Saint-Tropez 90 kilometers away
- Nice 91 kilometers away
- The French Riviera 92 kilometers away
- Saint-Jean-Cap-Ferrat 97 kilometers away
- Èze 98 kilometers away
- Monaco and Monte Carlo 103 kilometers away
- Rhône-Alpes 143 kilometers away
- Talloires 204 kilometers away
- Chamonix 209 kilometers away
- Annecy 211 kilometers away
- Lyon 223 kilometers away
- Dordogne 360 kilometers away
- Sarlat-la-Canéda 409 kilometers away
- La Roque-Gageac 410 kilometers away
- Castelnaud-la-Chapelle 413 kilometers away
- Beynac-et-Cazenac 414 kilometers away
Accommodation choices for Provence
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Provence. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
Ideas for experiencing Provence
Our specialists seek out authentic ways to get to know the places that could feature in your trip. These activities reflect some of the experiences they've most enjoyed while visiting Provence, and which use the best local guides.