Namche Bazaar is one of the main stops on the trail up to Everest Base Camp, and is a great place to spend a day or two.
If you have flown in to Lukla from Kathmandu, and walked to Namche in two days, you should spend at least a couple of days acclimatizing in Namche (or somewhere nearby at the same altitude).
View of Everest
The village is set in a horseshoe shaped bowl looking directly out at the sheer face of Kongde, and if you climb up to the viewpoint above the village, you will get your first view of Everest. You really feel as if you are deep in the mountains here.
Shops and facilities
Namche is the place to stock up on essentials — shops and stalls line the cobbled streets, and most of the traders are Sherpas or Tibetans. There are a large number of lodges (most of which are fairly simple), and numerous restaurants, cafés and even a couple of delicious bakeries. There is a post office, telephone facilities, internet, and a health and dental post here.
If you are in Namche on a Saturday, it is worth visiting the weekly market, where traders from Tibet sell their wares (often Chinese goods) in exchange for Nepali and Indian food and goods brought up from Lukla by lowland porters.
Suggested itineraries featuring Namche Bazaar
Our itineraries will give you suggestions for what is possible when you travel in Namche Bazaar, and they showcase routes we know work particularly well. Treat them as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Namche Bazaar
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Namche Bazaar
- Mende less than 5 kilometers away
- Tashinga less than 5 kilometers away
- Monjo 5 kilometers away
- Pangboche 11 kilometers away
- Lukla 14 kilometers away
- Everest Base Camp 26 kilometers away
- The Everest region 29 kilometers away
- Dhulikhel 116 kilometers away
- Nagarkot 118 kilometers away
- Bhaktapur 128 kilometers away
- Kathmandu Valley 132 kilometers away
- Kathmandu 138 kilometers away
- Terai 188 kilometers away
- Kurintar 206 kilometers away
- Chitwan National Park 223 kilometers away
- Bandipur 226 kilometers away
- Seti River 232 kilometers away
- Pokhara 272 kilometers away
- Annapurna 282 kilometers away
- Tanchock 282 kilometers away
- Birethanti 284 kilometers away
- Dhampus 285 kilometers away
- Ghandruk 292 kilometers away
- Lumbini 342 kilometers away
Photos of Namche Bazaar
Accommodation choices for Namche Bazaar
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Namche Bazaar. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.