Away from the architectural complexities of Durbar Square, the simplicity of the towering white Buddhist stupas at Bodnath and Swayambhunath are striking.
Swayambhunath and Bodnath stupa
Swayambhunath plays host to both playful monkeys and magnificent views across the valley, while Bodnath stupa is encircled by Tibetan shops, hotels, houses and temples.
Sacred site of Pashupatinath
Visiting Bodnath can be combined with nearby Pashupatinath, the most sacred Hindu site outside of India, where the burning funeral pyres lie on the banks of the Bagmati River.
Medieval mountain villages — Dhulikhel and Nagarkot
Going further out of the valley are Dhulikhel and Nagarkot: beautiful, medieval mountain villages that offer wonderful vistas at sunrise and sunset.
Places to visit in Kathmandu Valley
Featuring heavily on our experiences of visiting Kathmandu Valley, these selected places are destinations that also prove consistently popular with our travelers. Our specialists can help you choose how to include them in your wider trip, based on your preferences.
Suggested itineraries featuring Kathmandu Valley
Our itineraries will give you suggestions for what is possible when you travel in Kathmandu Valley, and they showcase routes we know work particularly well. Treat them as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Kathmandu Valley
Places & hotels on the map
Places in and around Kathmandu Valley
- Bhaktapur Kathmandu Valley
- Dhulikhel Kathmandu Valley
- Kathmandu Kathmandu Valley
- Nagarkot Kathmandu Valley
- Terai 71 kilometers away
- Kurintar 79 kilometers away
- Chitwan National Park 92 kilometers away
- Bandipur 102 kilometers away
- Seti River 105 kilometers away
- Pokhara 151 kilometers away
- Tanchock 164 kilometers away
- Birethanti 166 kilometers away
- Dhampus 166 kilometers away
- Annapurna 171 kilometers away
- Ghandruk 174 kilometers away
- Lumbini 211 kilometers away
- Bardia National Park 384 kilometers away
Photos of Kathmandu Valley
Accommodation choices for Kathmandu Valley
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Kathmandu Valley. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.