Visit Terai, Nepal
The Terai encompasses the southern half of Nepal, is mostly at low altitude, and is green and lush.
Chitwan and Bardia National Parks
The major draw here are the national parks of Chitwan and Bardia, where there are populations of Bengal tigers, one-horned rhinos, plentiful birdlife and more.
Lumbini and remote villages
The Buddha's birthplace at Lumbini, close to the border of India, is an important pilgrimage site, and the hills in the north of the region, known as the Mahabharat range, hide remote villages and panoramic viewpoints which are wonderful for short, off-the-beaten-track treks.
Places to visit in Terai
Featuring heavily on our experiences of visiting Terai, these selected places are destinations that also prove consistently popular with our travelers. Our specialists can help you choose how to include them in your wider trip, based on your preferences.
Suggested itinerary featuring Terai
This sample itinerary will give you an idea of what is possible when you travel in Terai, and showcases routes we know work particularly well. Treat this as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Terai
Places & hotels on the map
Places in and around Terai
- Bardia National Park Terai
- Chitwan National Park Terai
- Lumbini Terai
- Kathmandu Valley 71 kilometers away
- Kathmandu 71 kilometers away
- Bhaktapur 75 kilometers away
- Dhulikhel 79 kilometers away
- Nagarkot 84 kilometers away
- Kurintar 88 kilometers away
- Seti River 101 kilometers away
- Bandipur 104 kilometers away
- Pokhara 154 kilometers away
- Dhampus 169 kilometers away
- Tanchock 169 kilometers away
- Birethanti 170 kilometers away
- Ghandruk 178 kilometers away
- Annapurna 184 kilometers away
- Lukla 185 kilometers away
- Mende 186 kilometers away
- Monjo 187 kilometers away
- Namche Bazaar 188 kilometers away
- Tashinga 191 kilometers away
- Pangboche 198 kilometers away
- Everest Base Camp 209 kilometers away
- The Everest region 215 kilometers away
Photos of Terai
Accommodation choices for Terai
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Terai. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
Buddha Maya Garden hotel enjoys a quiet rural location and has a relaxed atmosphere.
A favorite of ours, Barahi is a very comfortable lodge in beautiful natural surroundings; perfect for exploring nearby Chitwan National Park.
One of the more exclusive properties in the area that is managed by Tiger Mountain. The lodge has only 12 double rooms with attached baths, all built using local materials and incorporating local styles. All activities are included in the price of staying here.