Visit Adam's Peak, Sri Lanka
Whether it is Adam's Peak (the place where Adam first set foot on earth after being cast out of heaven), Sri Pada (sacred footprint), or Samanalakande (Butterfly mountain, where butterflies go to die), Adam's Peak is a beautiful and fascinating place.
Not all faiths believe the huge footprint on the top of the 2,224 m peak to be that of Adam — some claim it belongs to the Buddha, St Thomas the early apostle of India or even Lord Shiva. Whichever legend you choose to believe the fact remains that this sacred mountain has been a pilgrimage center for over 1,000 years.
Today the pilgrimage season starts on Poya day (full moon day) in December and runs through to April — the beginning of the south west monsoon. At other times of the year it is not possible to climb. The night walk is the best way to maximize your time on Adam's peak, arriving in time for sunrise the views are simply breathtaking, with the hill country rising to the east, while to the west the land gently slopes toward the Indian Ocean. Shortly after dawn keep an eye out for the vast shadow of the mountain cast against the sky, most impressive.
Sri Lanka's Central Highlands, in which Adam's Peak stands, was declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site in July 2010 to protect the montane forests which are home to an extraordinary range of flora and fauna, including several endangered species such as the western-purple-faced langur, and the Sri Lankan leopard. The region is considered a super biodiversity hotspot.
Suggested itinerary featuring Adam's Peak
This sample itinerary will give you an idea of what is possible when you travel in Adam's Peak, and showcases routes we know work particularly well. Treat this as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Adam's Peak
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Adam's Peak
- Hatton 15 kilometers away
- Horton Plains 32 kilometers away
- Nuwara Eliya 34 kilometers away
- Sinharaja Biosphere 49 kilometers away
- Bandarawela 54 kilometers away
- Uda Walawe National Park 55 kilometers away
- Kandy 56 kilometers away
- Wadduwa 65 kilometers away
- Bentota 71 kilometers away
- Colombo 74 kilometers away
- Negombo 86 kilometers away
- Pallepola 92 kilometers away
- Galle 92 kilometers away
- Tangalle 94 kilometers away
- The Southern Coast 98 kilometers away
- Yala National Park 112 kilometers away
- Dambulla 119 kilometers away
- Sigiriya 131 kilometers away
- Polonnaruwa 138 kilometers away
- Minneriya National Park 141 kilometers away
- The Cultural Triangle 147 kilometers away
- Anuradhapura 167 kilometers away
- Passikudah 171 kilometers away
- Trincomalee 212 kilometers away
- Jaffna 323 kilometers away