Visit Nuwara Eliya, Sri Lanka
At 2,000 meters above sea level, the 19th century colonial hill station of Nuwara Eliya was a favorite retreat of the British, who were drawn by the climate, and to this day it retains a colonial ambiance with its golf course, gentlemen’s clubs and mock-Tudor buildings.
Train from Kandy to Nuwara Eliya
One of the best ways to reach Nuwara Eliya is by train from Kandy: the first-class observation car gives stunning views of the surrounding tea plantations, waterfalls and dramatic mountain scenery.
Suggested itineraries featuring Nuwara Eliya
Our itineraries will give you suggestions for what is possible when you travel in Nuwara Eliya, and they showcase routes we know work particularly well. Treat them as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Nuwara Eliya
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Nuwara Eliya
- Horton Plains 18 kilometers away
- Hatton 20 kilometers away
- Bandarawela 30 kilometers away
- Adam's Peak 34 kilometers away
- Kandy 39 kilometers away
- Uda Walawe National Park 53 kilometers away
- Sinharaja Biosphere 72 kilometers away
- Pallepolla 76 kilometers away
- Yala National Park 92 kilometers away
- Wadduwa 97 kilometers away
- Dambulla 101 kilometers away
- Colombo 101 kilometers away
- Bentota 104 kilometers away
- Tangalle 105 kilometers away
- Negombo 106 kilometers away
- Sigiriya 110 kilometers away
- Polonnaruwa 112 kilometers away
- The Southern Coast 117 kilometers away
- Minneriya National Park 118 kilometers away
- Galle 120 kilometers away
- The Cultural Triangle 130 kilometers away
- Passikudah 139 kilometers away
- Anuradhapura 155 kilometers away
- Trincomalee 186 kilometers away
- Jaffna 312 kilometers away
Photos of Nuwara Eliya
Accommodation choices for Nuwara Eliya
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Nuwara Eliya. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
Set amid the plantations of the Stafford tea estate, this restored colonial bungalow offers an intimate stay just 40 minutes from the town of Nuwara Eliya.
A unique concept, Heritance Tea Factory is situated on a tea plantation in Sri Lanka’s picturesque Hill Country and makes for a fascinating stay, offering characterful accommodation in a restored tea factory.
Set on a hillside in the heart of the tea country, the views from The Langdale are superb.
Situated in acres of tea and jungle, Warwick gardens is a sympathetically and tastefully converted planter's home. It is delightfully isolated, yet well located for trips to Nuwara Eliya and Horton Plains.
Ideas for experiencing Nuwara Eliya
Our specialists seek out authentic ways to get to know the places that could feature in your trip. These activities reflect some of the experiences they've most enjoyed while visiting Nuwara Eliya, and which use the best local guides.
Driving through the twisting roads of the tea estate, you see the colorful women, mainly of Tamil origin, at work in the plantations.
Horton Plains was declared a National Park in 1988 and covers 3,160 hectares of grasslands interspersed with forest and forms an undulating plateau more than 2,000m high.