The earliest cave temples at Dambulla are thought to date back to the first century BC but successive kings added to them over the years to form the present complex of five separate cave temples.
Images of Buddha
Today they contain around 150 images of Buddha including a colossal 52 meter long reclining Buddha in the largest cave.
As well as being a historic monument, the temples are also a pilgrimage site: the experience is even more atmospheric as you mingle with devotees placing symbolic offerings in the laps of the Buddhas, the scent of incense hanging in the air.
The caves at Dambulla are located within The Cultural Triangle and can be easily visited either from Sigiriya or en route from the hill country.
who's been there
- Make an inquiry
Suggested itinerary featuring Dambulla
This sample itinerary will give you an idea of what is possible when you travel in Dambulla, and showcases routes we know work particularly well. Treat this as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Dambulla
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Dambulla
- Sigiriya 15 kilometers away
- The Cultural Triangle 28 kilometers away
- Minneriya National Park 29 kilometers away
- Pallepola 29 kilometers away
- Polonnaruwa 40 kilometers away
- Anuradhapura 58 kilometers away
- Kandy 66 kilometers away
- Trincomalee 101 kilometers away
- Passikudah 101 kilometers away
- Nuwara Eliya 103 kilometers away
- Hatton 110 kilometers away
- Negombo 117 kilometers away
- Horton Plains 120 kilometers away
- Adam's Peak 120 kilometers away
- Bandarawela 123 kilometers away
- Colombo 138 kilometers away
- Udawalawe National Park 155 kilometers away
- Wadduwa 157 kilometers away
- Sinharaja Biosphere 168 kilometers away
- Yala National Park 173 kilometers away
- Bentota 178 kilometers away
- Tangalle 207 kilometers away
- Galle 211 kilometers away
- Jaffna 212 kilometers away
- The Southern Coast 217 kilometers away
Photos of Dambulla
Accommodation choices for Dambulla
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Dambulla. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.