Visit Dambulla, Sri Lanka
The earliest cave temples at Dambulla are thought to date back to the first century BC but successive kings added to them over the years to form the present complex of five separate cave temples.
Images of Buddha
Today they contain around 150 images of Buddha including a colossal 52 meter long reclining Buddha in the largest cave.
As well as being a historic monument, the temples are also a pilgrimage site: the experience is even more atmospheric as you mingle with devotees placing symbolic offerings in the laps of the Buddhas, the scent of incense hanging in the air.
The caves at Dambulla are located within The Cultural Triangle and can be easily visited either from Sigiriya or en route from the hill country.
Suggested Dambulla itinerary
This sample itinerary will give you an idea of what is possible when you travel in Dambulla, and showcases routes we know work particularly well. Treat this as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Dambulla
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Dambulla
- Sigiriya 15 kilometers away
- Pallepolla 28 kilometers away
- Minneriya National Park 29 kilometers away
- The Cultural Triangle 30 kilometers away
- Polonnaruwa 40 kilometers away
- Anuradhapura 58 kilometers away
- Kandy 64 kilometers away
- Passikudah 100 kilometers away
- Nuwara Eliya 101 kilometers away
- Trincomalee 101 kilometers away
- Hatton 108 kilometers away
- Negombo 117 kilometers away
- Horton Plains 118 kilometers away
- Adam's Peak 119 kilometers away
- Bandarawela 121 kilometers away
- Colombo 138 kilometers away
- Uda Walawe National Park 153 kilometers away
- Wadduwa 156 kilometers away
- Sinharaja Biosphere 167 kilometers away
- Yala National Park 171 kilometers away
- Bentota 176 kilometers away
- Tangalle 206 kilometers away
- Galle 210 kilometers away
- Jaffna 214 kilometers away
- The Southern Coast 215 kilometers away
Photos of Dambulla
Accommodation choices for Dambulla
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Dambulla. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
This large hotel complex is set in spacious grounds sloping down to Kandalama Lake, with dramatic hills forming a scenic backdrop. Accommodation is in air-conditioned chalets or eco-lodges, traditional cottages with walls and floors of packed mud.
Lake Lodge is an attractive boutique property with superb views over the Dambulla hills and Kandalama reservoir.