The earliest cave temples at Dambulla are thought to date back to the first century BC but successive kings added to them over the years to form the present complex of five separate cave temples.
Images of Buddha
Today they contain around 150 images of Buddha including a colossal 52 metre long reclining Buddha in the largest cave.
As well as being a historic monument, the temples are also a pilgrimage site: the experience is even more atmospheric as you mingle with devotees placing symbolic offerings in the laps of the Buddhas, the scent of incense hanging in the air.
The caves at Dambulla are located within The Cultural Triangle and can be easily visited either from Sigiriya or en route from the hill country.
Suggested Dambulla itinerary
This sample itinerary will give you an idea of what is possible when you travel in Dambulla, and showcases routes we know work particularly well. Treat this as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Dambulla
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Dambulla
- Sigiriya 10 miles away
- Pallepolla 17 miles away
- Minneriya National Park 18 miles away
- The Cultural Triangle 19 miles away
- Polonnaruwa 25 miles away
- Anuradhapura 36 miles away
- Kandy 40 miles away
- Passikudah 63 miles away
- Nuwara Eliya 63 miles away
- Trincomalee 63 miles away
- Hatton 67 miles away
- Negombo 73 miles away
- Horton Plains 74 miles away
- Adam's Peak 74 miles away
- Bandarawela 76 miles away
- Colombo 86 miles away
- Uda Walawe National Park 95 miles away
- Wadduwa 97 miles away
- Sinharaja Biosphere 104 miles away
- Yala National Park 106 miles away
- Bentota 110 miles away
- Tangalle 128 miles away
- Galle 130 miles away
- Jaffna 133 miles away
- The Southern Coast 134 miles away
Accommodation choices for Dambulla
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Dambulla. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.