Easily accessible whether you are travelling west from Yala and Habantota or south from Galle, the Southern Coast has miles of golden beaches, separated into small bays, each with its own resort.
This area was first discovered by backpackers and accommodation is generally more simple than that found at nearby Galle and Bentota, with an easy-going, friendly atmosphere and plenty of small restaurants and local shops, with watersports available locally.
The best time to visit this part of Sri Lanka is between November and April as the sea can be rough through the summer months.
Tangalle and turtles
Tangalle is one of the best beaches on the south coast and a breeding ground for turtles. The turtles are protected, with a local sanctuary where you can see the conservation project work, and this quiet conservation project sets the tone for small, eco-friendly beach resorts.
Unawatuna is a peaceful little town with a sheltered beach where you can swim safely year-round. The hotels are simple and often small, friendly locally run establishments. There is a large choice of beach cafés and bars where tasty seafood fresh from the sea is cooked to order.
Map of the Southern Coast
Places & hotels on the map
Places in and around the Southern Coast
- Tangalle The Southern Coast
- Galle 27 miles away
- Sinharaja Biosphere 32 miles away
- Uda Walawe National Park 45 miles away
- Bentota 53 miles away
- Adam's Peak 61 miles away
- Horton Plains 63 miles away
- Hatton 67 miles away
- Bandarawela 68 miles away
- Wadduwa 68 miles away
- Nuwara Eliya 73 miles away
- Yala National Park 76 miles away
- Colombo 86 miles away
- Kandy 94 miles away
- Negombo 103 miles away
- Pallepolla 117 miles away
- Dambulla 134 miles away
- Sigiriya 140 miles away
- Polonnaruwa 142 miles away
- Minneriya National Park 146 miles away
- The Cultural Triangle 152 miles away
- Passikudah 154 miles away
- Anuradhapura 165 miles away
- Trincomalee 188 miles away
- Jaffna 262 miles away
Accommodation choices for the Southern Coast
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit the Southern Coast. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.