Mikumi borders the Nyerere National Park and game migrates between the two. The main focus of Mikumi is the extensive Mkata floodplain. Here, sweeping yellow grasslands are interspersed with twisted acacia trees, where you will often find giraffe browsing on the leaves.
Wildlife of Mikumi National Park
Characteristic of the grassland are large herds of zebra, wildebeest, buffalo and impala. There are families of warthog, troops of yellow baboon and vervet monkeys. Elephant can be seen from afar and lion and spotted hyena are common.
There is a road running through the park, which can detract a little from the feeling of wilderness. For this reason we’ve chosen a small camp, tucked well-away near the Mkata floodplain. As this park is easily accessible from Dar es Salaam, we recommend it for two nights at the beginning of your safari before heading off into Nyerere National Park or Ruaha.
Map of Mikumi National Park
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Mikumi National Park
- Nyerere National Park 70 kilometers away
- Southern Tanzania 123 kilometers away
- Bagamoyo 207 kilometers away
- Saadani 215 kilometers away
- Dar es Salaam 233 kilometers away
- Tanzania's Swahili Coast 272 kilometers away
- Ruaha National Park 281 kilometers away
- Songo Songo Archipelago 292 kilometers away
- Tarangire National Park 382 kilometers away
- Arusha 434 kilometers away
- Lake Manyara National Park 451 kilometers away
- Mount Kilimanjaro 465 kilometers away
- Karatu 467 kilometers away
- Lake Eyasi 468 kilometers away
- West Kilimanjaro 479 kilometers away