Two hundred years ago Bagamoyo lay at the end of the slave trail and was a bustling colonial town.
Today, a fish market has replaced the slave market and Bagamoyo is a sleepy fishing town, more known for its stretch of white beach than its colonial past.
The beach itself is a base for working fishing dhows and is a lovely place to watch the moon rise over the Indian Ocean as crabs scuttle back and forth along the shore.
Famous explorers Burton and Speke
Burton and Speke began their famous expedition from Bagamoyo, and it is also home to one of the oldest churches in East Africa.
Map of Bagamoyo
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Bagamoyo
- Saadani 56 kilometers away
- Dar es Salaam 60 kilometers away
- Tanzania's Swahili Coast 105 kilometers away
- Nyerere National Park 176 kilometers away
- Mikumi National Park 207 kilometers away
- Songo Songo Archipelago 243 kilometers away
- Southern Tanzania 324 kilometers away
- Mount Kilimanjaro 414 kilometers away
- Tarangire National Park 420 kilometers away
- Arusha 421 kilometers away
- West Kilimanjaro 438 kilometers away
- Ruaha National Park 480 kilometers away
- Lake Manyara National Park 480 kilometers away