Arusha is a small bustling town in the shadow of Mount Meru.
It is not greatly attractive but it is colorful, bursting with life, and a good introduction to Tanzania's northern circuit.
There are small but good restaurants, some excellent curio shops and striking countryside around the town. Possibly the first thing that you will notice though, are the number of Maasai in their bold red garments. You will see Maasai herding cattle, riding bicycles, selling intricate beadwork and going about their daily life. Then, there are numerous roadsides stalls where women sell bunches of bright green bananas and roast cassava, small thatched huts with children flying in and out in school uniform. Rainbow colored buses, goats, cows and chickens are all over the road in no particular order.
Arusha is surrounded by beautiful mountain scenery. Up in the hills there are numerous flower farms and hundreds of coffee plantations. Crystal clear streams tumble from the mountain tops, villagers plow fields with oxen and the air is crisp and clear. In the midst of the coffee plantations, old homesteads perch atop hills with spectacular views. Many, whilst still working farms, have built guest cottages.
These coffee plantations are the perfect place to stay for your first night in Tanzania. You can relax in the gardens, ramble in the foothills and always enjoy a fresh cup of coffee straight from the farm with your breakfast in the morning.
Suggested itineraries featuring Arusha
Our itineraries will give you suggestions for what is possible when you travel in Arusha, and they showcase routes we know work particularly well. Treat them as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Arusha
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Arusha
- West Kilimanjaro 68 kilometers away
- Longido 72 kilometers away
- Mount Kilimanjaro 81 kilometers away
- Lake Manyara National Park 99 kilometers away
- Tarangire National Park 106 kilometers away
- Ol Doinyo Lengai 110 kilometers away
- Karatu 114 kilometers away
- Lake Natron 136 kilometers away
- Ngorongoro Crater 138 kilometers away
- Northern Tanzania 138 kilometers away
- Lake Eyasi 182 kilometers away
- Serengeti National Park 248 kilometers away
- Tanzania's Swahili Coast 345 kilometers away
- Saadani 367 kilometers away
- Bagamoyo 421 kilometers away
- Mikumi National Park 434 kilometers away
- Dar es Salaam 480 kilometers away
Photos of Arusha
Accommodation choices for Arusha
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Arusha. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.