Visit Lake Manyara National Park, Tanzania
Lake Manyara is a shallow alkaline lake at the base of the western stretches of the Rift Valley Escarpment.
It glitters in the sun and is often covered in cloud upon cloud of pink lesser flamingos. In the deeper areas of the lake small pods of hippo bask, ears flickering, with egrets resting on their backs.
Surrounding the lake is a particularly pretty park with a variety of habitats, including grassy floodplains, groundwater forest, acacia woodland and the rocky base of the escarpment.
Wildlife in Lake Manyara National Park
The park has excellent game densities and is perhaps best known for its tree-climbing lions, often found sprawled in the branches of sausage trees. There are big troops of olive baboon and blue monkeys, prolific elephant, buffalo, wildebeest, giraffe and zebra as well as a whole host of smaller animals.
Birdlife in the park is superb, with almost 400 species recorded. There are iridescent bee-eaters, silvery-cheeked hornbills and on the lake you’ll often find white pelicans as well as the flocks of flamingo.
Suggested itineraries featuring Lake Manyara National Park
Our itineraries will give you suggestions for what is possible when you travel in Lake Manyara National Park, and they showcase routes we know work particularly well. Treat them as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Lake Manyara National Park
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Lake Manyara National Park
- Karatu 19 kilometers away
- Ngorongoro Crater 46 kilometers away
- Northern Tanzania 46 kilometers away
- Tarangire National Park 70 kilometers away
- Ol Donyo Lengai 77 kilometers away
- Lake Eyasi 84 kilometers away
- Arusha 99 kilometers away
- Lake Natron 125 kilometers away
- Longido 126 kilometers away
- West Kilimanjaro 156 kilometers away
- Serengeti National Park 169 kilometers away
- Mount Kilimanjaro 177 kilometers away
- Pangani 416 kilometers away
- Tanzania's Swahili Coast 418 kilometers away
- Saadani 428 kilometers away
- Mikumi National Park 451 kilometers away
- Rubondo Island 452 kilometers away
- Ruaha National Park 462 kilometers away
- Bagamoyo 480 kilometers away
Photos of Lake Manyara National Park
Accommodation choices for Lake Manyara National Park
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Lake Manyara National Park. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
andBeyond Lake Manyara Tree Lodge is magical. It feels like a real jungle hideaway as you are surrounded by trees, birds and bushbabies. The staff are great and it is one of our favorite lodges in Tanzania.
Although large, and with some questionable interior décor, there is no doubt that the Serena hotel has a fabulous location. The pool is probably one of the most stunning in Tanzania.