West Kilimanjaro is a remote wilderness area of 250 square kilometers in size.
The land is leased from the local Maasai and is a true wilderness area with open plains, acacia woodland and above all, spectacular views of Mount Kilimanjaro.
Wildlife of West Kilimanjaro
Contiguous with the Amboseli National Park, in Kenya, this unspoilt area has good populations of elephant as well as species such as lesser kudu, gerenuk, bat-eared fox and striped hyena. As well as commitment to conservation and wildlife the concession works closely with the Maasai from whom the land is leased.
Local Maasai culture
The local community receives bed-night fees for all guests that stay in the concession and these, as well as annual lease payments and other support have provided funding for school classrooms and teachers houses.
A stay at West Kilimanjaro is as much about the community as it is about wildlife and a short stay will allow time spent with Maasai communities and an insight to their remarkable culture.
Map of West Kilimanjaro
Places & hotels on the map
Places near West Kilimanjaro
- Mount Kilimanjaro 31 kilometers away
- Arusha 68 kilometers away
- Ol Doinyo Lengai 135 kilometers away
- Lake Natron 136 kilometers away
- Lake Manyara National Park 156 kilometers away
- Karatu 166 kilometers away
- Tarangire National Park 173 kilometers away
- Ngorongoro Crater 186 kilometers away
- Northern Tanzania 186 kilometers away
- Lake Eyasi 239 kilometers away
- Serengeti National Park 276 kilometers away
- Tanzania's Swahili Coast 351 kilometers away
- Saadani 383 kilometers away
- Bagamoyo 438 kilometers away
- Mikumi National Park 479 kilometers away