Visit Tanzania's Swahili Coast, Tanzania
Tanzania’s Swahili Coast is nearly always overlooked as visitors flood to the more famous Zanzibar Archipelago.
Those who do look closer however will discover one of Tanzania's most beautiful wilderness areas.
Beaches and Swahili towns
The beaches are idyllic - long stretches of deserted sand, interspersed with sleepy Swahili towns and tiny fishing villages. Once, the towns were important centers of trade, and home to Arab slavers, Swahili merchants and, later on, German colonials. Nowadays the trade has largely moved elsewhere and towns are quiet and gently crumbling.
The beautiful beaches however, remain. Stunning hideaways can be found amidst the tropical languor that pervades the coast and that soon catches up with visitors too.
Places to visit in Tanzania's Swahili Coast
Featuring heavily on our experiences of visiting Tanzania's Swahili Coast, these selected places are destinations that also prove consistently popular with our travelers. Our specialists can help you choose how to include them in your wider trip, based on your preferences.
Suggested itineraries featuring Tanzania's Swahili Coast
Our itineraries will give you suggestions for what is possible when you travel in Tanzania's Swahili Coast, and they showcase routes we know work particularly well. Treat them as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Accommodation choices for Tanzania's Swahili Coast
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Tanzania's Swahili Coast. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
Ideas for experiencing Tanzania's Swahili Coast
Our specialists seek out authentic ways to get to know the places that could feature in your trip. These activities reflect some of the experiences they've most enjoyed while visiting Tanzania's Swahili Coast, and which use the best local guides.
Map of Tanzania's Swahili Coast
Places & hotels on the map
Places in and around Tanzania's Swahili Coast
- Bagamoyo Tanzania's Swahili Coast
- Dar es Salaam Tanzania's Swahili Coast
- Pangani Tanzania's Swahili Coast
- Ras Kutani Tanzania's Swahili Coast
- Saadani Tanzania's Swahili Coast
- Songo Songo Archipelago Tanzania's Swahili Coast
- Mikumi National Park 272 kilometers away
- Mount Kilimanjaro 324 kilometers away
- Arusha 345 kilometers away
- West Kilimanjaro 351 kilometers away
- Tarangire National Park 366 kilometers away
- Selous Game Reserve 385 kilometers away
- Southern Tanzania 394 kilometers away
- Longido 398 kilometers away
- Lake Manyara National Park 418 kilometers away
- Karatu 436 kilometers away
- Ol Donyo Lengai 454 kilometers away
- Ngorongoro Crater 463 kilometers away
- Northern Tanzania 463 kilometers away
- Lake Natron 477 kilometers away
- Lake Eyasi 478 kilometers away