Tanzania’s Swahili Coast is nearly always overlooked as visitors flood to the more famous Zanzibar Archipelago.
Those who do look closer however will discover one of Tanzania's most beautiful wilderness areas.
Beaches and Swahili towns
The beaches are idyllic - long stretches of deserted sand, interspersed with sleepy Swahili towns and tiny fishing villages. Once, the towns were important centres of trade, and home to Arab slavers, Swahili merchants and, later on, German colonials. Nowadays the trade has largely moved elsewhere and towns are quiet and gently crumbling.
The beautiful beaches however, remain. Stunning hideaways can be found amidst the tropical languor that pervades the coast and that soon catches up with visitors too.
Places to visit in Tanzania's Swahili Coast
Featuring heavily on our experiences of visiting Tanzania's Swahili Coast, these selected places are destinations that also prove consistently popular with our travellers. Our specialists can help you choose how to include them in your wider trip, based on your preferences.
Suggested itineraries featuring Tanzania's Swahili Coast
Our itineraries will give you suggestions for what is possible when you travel in Tanzania's Swahili Coast, and they showcase routes we know work particularly well. Treat them as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Tanzania's Swahili Coast
Places & hotels on the map
Places in and around Tanzania's Swahili Coast
- Bagamoyo Tanzania's Swahili Coast
- Dar es Salaam Tanzania's Swahili Coast
- Pangani Tanzania's Swahili Coast
- Ras Kutani Tanzania's Swahili Coast
- Saadani Tanzania's Swahili Coast
- Songo Songo Archipelago Tanzania's Swahili Coast
- Mikumi National Park 169 miles away
- Mount Kilimanjaro 202 miles away
- Arusha 215 miles away
- West Kilimanjaro 218 miles away
- Tarangire National Park 227 miles away
- Selous Game Reserve 240 miles away
- Southern Tanzania 245 miles away
- Longido 248 miles away
- Lake Manyara National Park 260 miles away
- Karatu 271 miles away
- Ol Donyo Lengai 283 miles away
- Ngorongoro Crater 288 miles away
- Northern Tanzania 288 miles away
- Lake Natron 297 miles away
- Lake Eyasi 297 miles away
Accommodation choices for Tanzania's Swahili Coast
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Tanzania's Swahili Coast. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
Ideas for experiencing Tanzania's Swahili Coast
Our specialists seek out authentic ways to get to know the places that could feature in your trip. These activities reflect some of the experiences they've most enjoyed while visiting Tanzania's Swahili Coast, and which use the best local guides.