Visit Tarangire National Park, Tanzania
Tarangire is a classic dry season reserve: in the rains the game disperses into the Maasai Steppe but as the landscape dries the wildlife returns, drawn to the Tarangire River.
Wildlife of Tarangire National Park
Large populations of wildebeest, zebra, buffalo, giraffe, eland, impala and warthog all go in search of water. Lion and hyena follow accordingly. Perhaps most impressive are the large herds of elephant that congregate along the riverbanks - it is sometimes possible to see over 500 in a day.
There are some localized antelope species, such as the fringe-eared oryx and gerenuk, and plenty of colorful birdlife. Yellow-billed and saddle-billed storks are often found in the river and orange-bellied parrots and red-and-yellow barbets in the acacia woodland.
A short way from Arusha, Tarangire is an ideal place to stay for a couple of nights at the beginning or end of a 'northern circuit' safari.
Suggested itineraries featuring Tarangire National Park
This sample itinerary will give you an idea of what is possible when you travel in Tarangire National Park, and showcases routes we know work particularly well. Treat this as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Tarangire National Park
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Tarangire National Park
- Lake Manyara National Park 70 kilometers away
- Karatu 86 kilometers away
- Arusha 106 kilometers away
- Ngorongoro Crater 110 kilometers away
- Northern Tanzania 110 kilometers away
- Lake Eyasi 113 kilometers away
- Ol Donyo Lengai 142 kilometers away
- Longido 163 kilometers away
- West Kilimanjaro 173 kilometers away
- Mount Kilimanjaro 184 kilometers away
- Lake Natron 188 kilometers away
- Serengeti National Park 232 kilometers away
- Pangani 365 kilometers away
- Tanzania's Swahili Coast 366 kilometers away
- Saadani 370 kilometers away
- Mikumi National Park 382 kilometers away
- Ruaha National Park 406 kilometers away
- Bagamoyo 420 kilometers away
- Southern Tanzania 452 kilometers away
- Dar es Salaam 479 kilometers away
Photos of Tarangire National Park
Accommodation choices for Tarangire National Park
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Tarangire National Park. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
Tarangire River Camp is a beautifully situated camp overlooking Tarangire National Park and the Tarangire River. While the camp is outside the national park, it's only half an hour's drive to the park entrance and headquarters, making it well-located for game drives.
Oliver’s Camp offers the perfect balance between an authentic tented safari experience while at the same time providing plenty of comfort and luxury. Set in the heart of Tarangire National Park, guests can enjoy excellent game viewing as well as guided walking safaris from the camp.
Kirurumu Tarangire Camp doesn't have a lot of frills but feels more like a mobile camp. It has a friendly relaxed atmosphere and is delightful.