Tarangire is a classic dry season reserve: in the rains the game disperses into the Maasai Steppe but as the landscape dries the wildlife returns, drawn to the Tarangire River.
Wildlife of Tarangire National Park
Large populations of wildebeest, zebra, buffalo, giraffe, eland, impala and warthog all go in search of water. Lion and hyena follow accordingly. Perhaps most impressive are the large herds of elephant that congregate along the riverbanks — it is sometimes possible to see over 500 in a day.
There are some localized antelope species, such as the fringe-eared oryx and gerenuk, and plenty of colorful birdlife. Yellow-billed and saddle-billed storks are often found in the river and orange-bellied parrots and red-and-yellow barbets in the acacia woodland.
A short way from Arusha, Tarangire is an ideal place to stay for a couple of nights at the beginning or end of a 'northern circuit' safari.
Suggested itinerary featuring Tarangire National Park
This sample itinerary will give you an idea of what is possible when you travel in Tarangire National Park, and showcases routes we know work particularly well. Treat this as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Tarangire National Park
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Tarangire National Park
- Lake Manyara National Park 44 miles away
- Karatu 54 miles away
- Arusha 66 miles away
- Ngorongoro Crater 68 miles away
- Northern Tanzania 68 miles away
- Lake Eyasi 70 miles away
- Ol Doinyo Lengai 88 miles away
- West Kilimanjaro 108 miles away
- Mount Kilimanjaro 115 miles away
- Lake Natron 117 miles away
- Serengeti National Park 144 miles away
- Tanzania's Swahili Coast 227 miles away
- Saadani 230 miles away
- Mikumi National Park 238 miles away
- Ruaha National Park 253 miles away
- Bagamoyo 261 miles away
- Nyerere National Park 272 miles away
- Southern Tanzania 281 miles away
- Dar es Salaam 298 miles away
Photos of Tarangire National Park
Accommodation choices for Tarangire National Park
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Tarangire National Park. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.