Mikumi borders the Selous Game Reserve and game migrates between the two. The main focus of Mikumi is the extensive Mkata floodplain. Here, sweeping yellow grasslands are interspersed with twisted acacia trees, where you will often find giraffe browsing on the leaves.
Wildlife of Mikumi National Park
Characteristic of the grassland are large herds of zebra, wildebeest, buffalo and impala. There are families of warthog, troops of yellow baboon and vervet monkeys. Elephant can be seen from afar and lion and spotted hyena are common.
There is a road running through the park, which can detract a little from the feeling of wilderness. For this reason we’ve chosen a small camp, tucked well-away near the Mkata floodplain. As this park is easily accessible from Dar es Salaam, we recommend it for two nights at the beginning of your safari before heading off into the Selous or Ruaha.
Map of Mikumi National Park
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Mikumi National Park
- Southern Tanzania 77 miles away
- Selous Game Reserve 116 miles away
- Bagamoyo 129 miles away
- Saadani 134 miles away
- Dar es Salaam 145 miles away
- Ras Kutani 159 miles away
- Tanzania's Swahili Coast 169 miles away
- Ruaha National Park 175 miles away
- Pangani 175 miles away
- Songo Songo Archipelago 182 miles away
- Tarangire National Park 238 miles away
- Arusha 270 miles away
- Lake Manyara National Park 281 miles away
- Mount Kilimanjaro 289 miles away
- Karatu 291 miles away
- Lake Eyasi 291 miles away
- West Kilimanjaro 298 miles away