Saadani National Park is the only wildlife sanctuary in East Africa with a beach on the Indian Ocean. The park supports a variety of habitats from the palm-fringed beaches interspersed with mangroves on the coast, to the open grassland and acacia copses inland. There is lush riparian vegetation lining the rivers and pockets of dense thickets scattered throughout the park.
Wildlife of Saadani National Park
Although the game viewing is not on a par with some of Tanzania'a other parks, there is a wide range of game present including giraffe, buffalo, waterbuck, reedbuck, hartebeest, wildebeest, and the red duiker, which is restricted to coastal scrub and forest and not often seen elsewhere in Tanzania.
The number of lion and elephant in the park have been increasing and sightings are becoming more common.
The rivers hold a good population of hippo and crocodiles and there is a rich variety of birdlife throughout the park.
Map of Saadani
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Saadani
- Bagamoyo 35 miles away
- Tanzania's Swahili Coast 38 miles away
- Dar es Salaam 71 miles away
- Nyerere National Park 125 miles away
- Mikumi National Park 134 miles away
- Songo Songo Archipelago 186 miles away
- Southern Tanzania 210 miles away
- Mount Kilimanjaro 223 miles away
- Arusha 228 miles away
- Tarangire National Park 230 miles away
- West Kilimanjaro 238 miles away
- Lake Manyara National Park 266 miles away
- Karatu 278 miles away
- Ruaha National Park 293 miles away
- Ol Doinyo Lengai 295 miles away
- Ngorongoro Crater 295 miles away
- Northern Tanzania 295 miles away
- Lake Eyasi 299 miles away