Two hundred years ago Bagamoyo lay at the end of the slave trail and was a bustling colonial town.
Today, a fish market has replaced the slave market and Bagamoyo is a sleepy fishing town, more known for its stretch of white beach than its colonial past.
The beach itself is a base for working fishing dhows and is a lovely place to watch the moon rise over the Indian Ocean as crabs scuttle back and forth along the shore.
Famous explorers Burton and Speke
Burton and Speke began their famous expedition from Bagamoyo, and it is also home to one of the oldest churches in East Africa.
Map of Bagamoyo
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Bagamoyo
- Saadani 35 miles away
- Dar es Salaam 37 miles away
- Tanzania's Swahili Coast 65 miles away
- Nyerere National Park 109 miles away
- Mikumi National Park 129 miles away
- Songo Songo Archipelago 151 miles away
- Southern Tanzania 201 miles away
- Mount Kilimanjaro 257 miles away
- Tarangire National Park 261 miles away
- Arusha 262 miles away
- West Kilimanjaro 273 miles away
- Ruaha National Park 298 miles away
- Lake Manyara National Park 298 miles away