Visit Bar Harbor, New England
Situated on Mount Desert Island on Maine's scenic Atlantic Coast, Bar Harbor makes a great base for exploring nearby Acadia National Park.
Nearly half the island is devoted to the park, a vast wilderness area that is a magnet for outdoor enthusiasts who take advantage of the park's great walking, scenic coastal vistas and pristine beaches.
The park consists of three distinct parts: Mount Desert Island, the Schoodic Peninsula and Isle au Haut which is accessible only by boat. Granite-topped mountains and scenic bays dot the dramatic park landscape and offer secluded hill and coastal walking as well as excellent wildlife viewing with seals, beavers, puffins and bald eagles frequently sighted.
Over 120 miles of hiking trails delve into the remote corners of this spectacular wilderness area and offer access to Somes Sound, a narrow fjord that almost splits the island in two, and Cadillac Mountain, which offers spectacular ocean views.
The easiest way to explore the park is by driving the Park Loop Road, but shuttle buses also operate and bicycles can be hired. Bar Harbor, a bustling town during the summer months, makes an ideal base for a few days of relaxation by the sea and offers easy access to the park.
Map of Bar Harbor
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Bar Harbor
- Camden 72 kilometers away
- Maine 85 kilometers away
- Kennebunkport 216 kilometers away
- North Conway 237 kilometers away
- Bretton Woods 259 kilometers away
- Lincoln/North Woodstock 281 kilometers away
- Sugar Hill 288 kilometers away
- New Hampshire 293 kilometers away
- Provincetown 306 kilometers away
- Cape Cod 314 kilometers away
- Boston 323 kilometers away
- Chatham 333 kilometers away
- Bennington 337 kilometers away
- Hyannis 349 kilometers away
- Woodstock 356 kilometers away
- Falmouth 372 kilometers away
- Nantucket 379 kilometers away
- Vermont 382 kilometers away
- Martha's Vineyard 390 kilometers away
- Burlington 399 kilometers away
- Sturbridge 404 kilometers away
- Newport, Rhode Island 410 kilometers away
- Manchester 415 kilometers away
- Lake George 455 kilometers away
- Lake Placid 460 kilometers away
- Lenox 469 kilometers away
- Saratoga Springs 472 kilometers away
- Stockbridge 476 kilometers away
Photos of Bar Harbor
Accommodation choices for Bar Harbor
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Bar Harbor. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
Overlooking the Mount Desert Narrows, the Harborside Hotel affords an enviable location in town, just a 20-minute drive from the vast natural wonders of Acadia National Park.
The Bayview is a haven of peace and tranquility with unsurpassed views of the Atlantic Ocean and Frenchman's Bay, just minutes away from Bar Harbor and Acadia National Park.
The original building on the site of the Bluenose Inn was constructed in 1884 as the summer residence of Mrs. William Morris Hunt, an artist's widow. The grounds feature an outdoor heated swimming pool, garden paths and panoramic views of Frenchman Bay.