Tucking into fresh lobster, hiking coastal trails and exploring towns barely touched by time on a visit to the Pine Tree State.
Lobsters, lighthouses and laid-back coastal towns… Maine makes a relaxing seaside retreat for Americans and overseas visitors alike (just ask the Bush family, who have a holiday home here). Its rocky coastline is dotted with sandy beaches, knobbly granite-and-spruce islands, candy-striped lighthouses and waterside towns such as Bar Harbor, where you’ll find independent shops and seafood freshly caught that morning.
You could take a boat trip with a local lobster catcher to find out more about the area’s most lucrative industry. Go whale watching in search of humpback, minke and finback whales. Or, simply use Bar Harbor as a base for exploring Acadia National Park, where forested clifftop hiking trails give you a chance to see whales, otters, eagles and puffins.
However you decide to explore Maine, our specialists can help. They’ve visited the state many times and can draw on their own experiences to suggest the best ways for you to experience its highlights.
You can visit postcard-worthy New England towns like Camden and Kennebunkport, with their painted wooden houses, picket fences and white clapboard churches. Or, in the state’s largest city, Portland, you could join a food walking tour to sample fresh lobster rolls, potato doughnuts (a local delicacy) and Maine craft beer.
Places to visit in Maine
Featuring heavily on our experiences of visiting Maine, these selected places are destinations that also prove consistently popular with our travelers. Our specialists can help you choose how to include them in your wider trip, based on your preferences.
Suggested itinerary featuring Maine
This sample itinerary will give you an idea of what is possible when you travel in Maine, and showcases routes we know work particularly well. Treat this as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Maine
Places & hotels on the map
Places in and around Maine
- Bar Harbor Maine
- Camden Maine
- Kennebunkport Maine
- North Conway 156 kilometers away
- Bretton Woods 182 kilometers away
- Lincoln/North Woodstock 201 kilometers away
- New Hampshire 208 kilometers away
- Sugar Hill 210 kilometers away
- Provincetown 241 kilometers away
- Boston 245 kilometers away
- Bennington 252 kilometers away
- Cape Cod 253 kilometers away
- Woodstock 273 kilometers away
- Chatham 274 kilometers away
- Hyannis 286 kilometers away
- Vermont 301 kilometers away
- Falmouth 305 kilometers away
- Nantucket 321 kilometers away
- Sturbridge 323 kilometers away
- Martha's Vineyard 325 kilometers away
- Burlington 325 kilometers away
- Manchester 330 kilometers away
- Newport, Rhode Island 338 kilometers away
- Lake George 372 kilometers away
- Lake Placid 384 kilometers away
- Lenox 385 kilometers away
- Saratoga Springs 388 kilometers away
- Stockbridge 391 kilometers away
- Albany 404 kilometers away
Photos of Maine
Accommodation choices for Maine
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Maine. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.