Hiking through forested mountains, visiting dairy and maple syrup farms, and exploring pretty New England towns in the Green Mountain State.
In Vermont, the seasons are tangible, whether it’s the blazing foliage and apple-harvesting festivals of autumn, the exuberant greens of summer, or the blossoming, chirping landscape of spring, when sugarhouses are running full-tilt to produce much of the US’s maple syrup. Our specialists have visited in spring, summer and fall and can craft a trip to Vermont around your interests.
You’ll find wooded valleys dotted with red barns, wooden bridges and dairy farms. Sprawling national parks encompass mountains and forests woven with hiking trails. And quintessential New England towns like Manchester, Burlington and Stockbridge, where you can stay in intimate B&Bs and stroll leafy streets, pausing at museums, galleries and historic buildings.
The state is a haven for food and drink lovers, with a thriving craft beer scene and farmers markets laden with cheeses and freshly picked fruit and vegetables. Base yourself in Woodstock to visit nearby family-run farms, where you can watch cheese- and maple syrup-making in action.
Using their first-hand experience, our specialists can recommend the best ways to take in the state’s changing scenery. You could drive the Scenic 100 route, which stretches the length of the state. Cruise Lake Champlain’s glistening water while hearing about the region’s history. Or walk among maple and hemlock trees in the Green Mountain and Finger Lakes national forests.
Places to visit in Vermont
Featuring heavily on our experiences of visiting Vermont, these selected places are destinations that also prove consistently popular with our travelers. Our specialists can help you choose how to include them in your wider trip, based on your preferences.
Suggested itinerary featuring Vermont
This sample itinerary will give you an idea of what is possible when you travel in Vermont, and showcases routes we know work particularly well. Treat this as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Vermont
Places & hotels on the map
Places in and around Vermont
- Bennington Vermont
- Burlington Vermont
- Manchester Vermont
- Woodstock Vermont
- Lake George 77 kilometers away
- Sugar Hill 101 kilometers away
- Lincoln/North Woodstock 102 kilometers away
- Lake Placid 104 kilometers away
- Saratoga Springs 106 kilometers away
- New Hampshire 116 kilometers away
- Bretton Woods 129 kilometers away
- Albany 144 kilometers away
- North Conway 146 kilometers away
- Lenox 162 kilometers away
- Stockbridge 170 kilometers away
- Sturbridge 198 kilometers away
- Kennebunkport 201 kilometers away
- Boston 218 kilometers away
- New York State 263 kilometers away
- Newport, Rhode Island 286 kilometers away
- Provincetown 293 kilometers away
- Maine 301 kilometers away
- Falmouth 311 kilometers away
- Camden 311 kilometers away
- Cape Cod 319 kilometers away
- Hyannis 319 kilometers away
- Martha's Vineyard 325 kilometers away
- Ithaca 329 kilometers away
- Chatham 335 kilometers away
- New York 350 kilometers away
- Nantucket 361 kilometers away
- Bar Harbor 382 kilometers away
- Rochester 387 kilometers away
- Philadelphia 466 kilometers away
Photos of Vermont
Accommodation choices for Vermont
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Vermont. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
The Woodstocker B&B offers a home-away-from-home in the heart of Woodstock. With friendly, personable owners and charming New England country decor, it's ideal for exploring Vermont's countryside.
The Woodstock Inn & Resort is centrally located in the pretty village of Woodstock, Vermont. The Inn boasts a refined and sophisticated atmosphere without pretension.
On The River Inn is a brand-new property located just outside of the pretty village of Woodstock, Vermont, by the banks of the Ottauquechee River.
The award-winning Inn at Ormsby Hill lies just a five minutes drive from the center of Manchester village in a delightful spot offering panoramic views of the Green Mountains.
Manchester B&B Inn and Carriage House has 18 unique guest rooms and suites. All bedrooms are air-conditioned, and for your comfort include flat-screen TVs and Wi-Fi.