Visit Manchester, New England
The delightful village of Manchester is located in the heart of the southern Green Mountains, at the foot of Mount Equinox, making it an excellent base for exploring southern Vermont.
This historic town has lots of revolutionary and pre-revolutionary history, and boasts some lovely old buildings that are a delight to stroll around. Visitors have been drawn to Manchester since the 19th century and President Lincoln's son, Robert Todd Lincoln, loved the area so much he chose to make it his home, building his country estate, Hildene, in the area in 1905.
This Georgian revival mansion is a beautiful place to visit in the summer months, boasting 24 rooms, filled with Lincoln family furniture and paintings, all set amongst beautiful gardens. Today, the village also offers a good selection of great value outlet shops. The nearby Batten Kill River, widely regarded as Vermont's best trout stream, offers plenty of outdoor activities, including white water rafting and canoeing.
In addition, part of the Appalachian Trail, which runs from Georgia to Maine, passes east of Manchester, allowing visitors an opportunity to walk part of this gruelling 3,380 kilometre trail.
Suggested itineraries featuring Manchester
This sample itinerary will give you an idea of what is possible when you travel in Manchester, and showcases routes we know work particularly well. Treat this as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Manchester
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Manchester
- Saratoga Springs 59 kilometers away
- Lake George 60 kilometers away
- Woodstock 69 kilometers away
- Vermont 70 kilometers away
- Albany 80 kilometers away
- Lenox 92 kilometers away
- Bennington 95 kilometers away
- Stockbridge 100 kilometers away
- New Hampshire 124 kilometers away
- Sturbridge 143 kilometers away
- Lake Placid 145 kilometers away
- Burlington 147 kilometers away
- Lincoln/North Woodstock 148 kilometers away
- Sugar Hill 156 kilometers away
- Bretton Woods 180 kilometers away
- North Conway 186 kilometers away
- Boston 187 kilometers away
- Kennebunkport 212 kilometers away
- New York State 234 kilometers away
- Newport, Rhode Island 236 kilometers away
- Provincetown 267 kilometers away
- Falmouth 271 kilometers away
- New York 280 kilometers away
- Martha's Vineyard 282 kilometers away
- Hyannis 284 kilometers away
- Cape Cod 292 kilometers away
- Ithaca 292 kilometers away
- Chatham 304 kilometers away
- Nantucket 322 kilometers away
- Maine 330 kilometers away
- Camden 343 kilometers away
- Rochester 369 kilometers away
- Philadelphia 398 kilometers away
- Bar Harbor 415 kilometers away
- Lancaster 440 kilometers away
- Buffalo 474 kilometers away
Photos of Manchester
Accommodation choices for Manchester
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Manchester. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
The award-winning Inn at Ormsby Hill lies just a five minutes drive from the centre of Manchester village in a delightful spot offering panoramic views of the Green Mountains.
Manchester B&B Inn and Carriage House has 18 unique guestrooms and suites. All bedrooms are air-conditioned, and for your comfort include flat-screen TVs and Wi-Fi.