Small towns and unspoiled villages are boarded by snow-capped mountains, island-dotted lakes and white pine forests in this laid-back state.
Blanketed in alpine peaks and mountainous hardwood forest giving way to peaceful valleys, island-sprinkled lakes and petite villages, New Hampshire speaks to lovers of the Great Outdoors. Basing yourself in one of the White Mountains National Forest’s small-towns like Bretton Woods or Jackson, you can climb New England’s highest peak — Mount Washington — or walk across its surrounding rocky terrain. Alternatively, take to the water to discover the Lakes Region’s hidden coves and inlets or swim in Mount Washington Valley’s bracing mountain streams and creeks.
But you don’t have to exert yourself to explore the state: many scenic drives, such as the mountain-framed Kancamagus Highway, span New Hampshire. The route glows in autumn, when the leafy landscapes shift to vivid shades of red, orange and yellow. You can even effortlessly summit Mount Washington on a cog railway. The five-and-a-half-hour round trip gives you panoramic views of White Mountain Forest Park and is often referred to as New England’s most scenic railway journey.
Whether you wish to hike, drive or kayak through the region, our specialists can design a trip for you. Using their first-hand knowledge of the area, they’ll showcase New Hampshire’s highlights, less-visited lakes and quintessential villages.
Places to visit in New Hampshire
Featuring heavily on our experiences of visiting New Hampshire, these selected places are destinations that also prove consistently popular with our travelers. Our specialists can help you choose how to include them in your wider trip, based on your preferences.
Suggested itinerary featuring New Hampshire
This sample itinerary will give you an idea of what is possible when you travel in New Hampshire, and showcases routes we know work particularly well. Treat this as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of New Hampshire
Places & hotels on the map
Places in and around New Hampshire
- Bretton Woods New Hampshire
- Lincoln/North Woodstock New Hampshire
- North Conway New Hampshire
- Sugar Hill New Hampshire
- Bennington 51 kilometers away
- Woodstock 82 kilometers away
- Kennebunkport 89 kilometers away
- Vermont 116 kilometers away
- Boston 121 kilometers away
- Manchester 124 kilometers away
- Sturbridge 148 kilometers away
- Lake George 174 kilometers away
- Burlington 180 kilometers away
- Lenox 181 kilometers away
- Saratoga Springs 183 kilometers away
- Provincetown 186 kilometers away
- Stockbridge 188 kilometers away
- Albany 196 kilometers away
- Maine 208 kilometers away
- Newport, Rhode Island 212 kilometers away
- Cape Cod 212 kilometers away
- Lake Placid 218 kilometers away
- Falmouth 218 kilometers away
- Hyannis 219 kilometers away
- Camden 222 kilometers away
- Chatham 230 kilometers away
- Martha's Vineyard 236 kilometers away
- Nantucket 263 kilometers away
- Bar Harbor 293 kilometers away
- New York 355 kilometers away
- New York State 358 kilometers away
- Ithaca 415 kilometers away
Photos of New Hampshire
Accommodation choices for New Hampshire
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit New Hampshire. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.