Grassy sand dunes, cedar-shingled towns, ocean views and fresh seafood, all on New England’s Cape Cod.
Grassy sand dunes, seemingly endless blue water and lively small towns filled with weathered, cedar-shingled buildings. Cape Cod is the quintessential New England summer destination, offering everything from swimming and whale watching to shopping and seafood.
We can help you settle in like a local at small bed and breakfasts or family-run inns where you’ll receive personal service and insider tips, or set you up at one of the more luxe resorts that offer abundant facilities and opportunities for sailing excursions. Spend days lounging in the sun, or explore beaches in a different way when we arrange a sand dune tour for you.
About two hours from Boston, Cape Cod is a popular vacation spot for affluent New Englanders, with the peninsula seeing its summer population swell to more than double its year-round total. It’s dotted with many communities to explore, whether you want to admire the lighthouse in Chatham or stroll the lively streets of Provincetown.
To experience Cape Cod at its best, spend some time along the Cape Cod National Seashore. With its 64 km (38 miles) of protected shoreline, the National Seashore is a sprawling, beachy oasis where people flock to enjoy the sand, sun and surf. Spend the day on the beach before heading into one of the towns for some shopping and dinner.
See the light
Perhaps no singular image captures Cape Cod more than that of a lighthouse, and there are plenty for you to visit. In Chatham, you can see Stage Harbor Lighthouse standing stout and stark-white among the grassy dunes. Or, visit the red-roofed Chatham Light, standing 24 m (79 ft) high over a US Coast Guard station. You can also visit the tip of the Cape in Provincetown and see Race Point Light or Long Point Light, where you’ll be treated with seemingly endless views out to the Atlantic.
All the towns on Cape Cod have something different to offer, from Chatham’s legendary beaches to Provincetown’s lively downtown and large LGBTQ+ community. While in Chatham, visit the Chatham Pier Fish Market and grab a bowl of New England clam chowder or a fresh lobster roll. Or, head to Harding’s Beach and take advantage of its warm and calm waters.
In Provincetown, head to the pier and join a whale watching tour out to Stellwagen Bank National Marine Sanctuary. When you need a break from the beach, stroll downtown among the art galleries, boutiques, cafés and restaurants. Or, for a different perspective of Cape Cod, paddle a kayak in Popponesset Bay, led by a local guide, as the sun sets.
Best time to visit Cape Cod
The best time to visit is during Cape Cod’s summer months, June, July and August. You may still find decent weather in September, but it starts to get cold in October and many of the shops will have already begun to shut down.
Truly a summer destination, places on Cape Cod close up shop for the winter. We don’t recommend visiting from November through May. The weather begins to warm up and things reopen come Memorial Day at the end of May.
Suggested itinerary featuring Cape Cod
This sample itinerary will give you an idea of what is possible when you travel in Cape Cod, and showcases routes we know work particularly well. Treat this as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Cape Cod
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Cape Cod
- Chatham 23 kilometers away
- Provincetown 27 kilometers away
- Hyannis 38 kilometers away
- Falmouth 65 kilometers away
- Nantucket 68 kilometers away
- Martha's Vineyard 80 kilometers away
- Boston 105 kilometers away
- Newport, Rhode Island 120 kilometers away
- Kennebunkport 170 kilometers away
- Sturbridge 177 kilometers away
- Bennington 204 kilometers away
- New Hampshire 212 kilometers away
- Maine 253 kilometers away
- North Conway 260 kilometers away
- Camden 269 kilometers away
- Lincoln/North Woodstock 277 kilometers away
- Lenox 279 kilometers away
- Stockbridge 281 kilometers away
- Woodstock 285 kilometers away
- Bretton Woods 290 kilometers away
- Manchester 292 kilometers away
- Sugar Hill 299 kilometers away
- Bar Harbor 314 kilometers away
- Vermont 319 kilometers away
- Albany 324 kilometers away
- Saratoga Springs 341 kilometers away
- Lake George 351 kilometers away
- New York 360 kilometers away
- Burlington 391 kilometers away
- Lake Placid 421 kilometers away