Overlooked by huge Pikes Peak and once the haunt of affluent British visitors, Colorado Springs is the state's second largest city. A fledgling resort town before the gold rush, the town was soon overrun with fortune seekers who changed its focus entirely. Today its attractions include the Western Museum of Mining and Industry and the North American Defense Command Headquarters.
For a more cultural insight the region's history the Colorado Springs Pioneer Museum offers an array of changing exhibits, while the Pro Rodeo Hall of Fame explains the thrills of calf roping, barrel racing and steer wrestling.
Just outside the city you can visit the incredible rock formations of the Garden of the Gods, where erosion has sculpted the rich red sandstone into spectacular spires, ridges and towers. To the south of the town lies Royal Gorge where a rickety wooden suspension bridge is stretched over a vertiginous 1,053-feet-deep gorge.
Map of Colorado Springs
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Colorado Springs
- Colorado 70 kilometers away
- Denver 102 kilometers away
- Vail 162 kilometers away
- Alamosa 178 kilometers away
- Aspen 179 kilometers away
- Estes Park 182 kilometers away
- Telluride 280 kilometers away
- Durango 320 kilometers away
- Grand Junction 324 kilometers away
- Santa Fe 364 kilometers away
- Mesa Verde National Park 366 kilometers away
- Moab 412 kilometers away
- Arches National Park 413 kilometers away
- Canyonlands National Park 444 kilometers away
- Albuquerque 448 kilometers away
Photos of Colorado Springs
Accommodation choices for Colorado Springs
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Colorado Springs. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.