Visit Durango, US
Founded by the Denver and Rio Grande Railroad in 1880, Durango was once a young city surrounded by silver mining towns and the wild, wild West. Today it is a carefully preserved National Historic Landmark and has been the backdrop for films such as Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, City Slickers and Cliffhangers.
Although the railway still passes through town, the mining towns it was built to serve have long since been abandoned. You can, however, take a vintage steam train along the Durango and Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad, a spectacular old mining route through the Animas Valley to Silverton, which offers passengers wonderful views of lush aspen forests and rocky outcrops at any time of the year.
Main Street is littered with independent boutique shops which are well worth a look, as well as great restaurants such as Seasons, serving locally produced food and the best in local brews. For a taste of the wild west step into the Office bar at the Strater Hotel where even the waitresses pay homage to the somewhat idealized wild west past, serving local beers in full old west costumes. Hiking, biking, rafting and even zip-lining are all popular sports in this area.
Map of Durango
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Durango
- Mesa Verde National Park 52 kilometers away
- Telluride 74 kilometers away
- Alamosa 180 kilometers away
- Monument Valley Navajo Tribal Park 199 kilometers away
- Moab 206 kilometers away
- Grand Junction 208 kilometers away
- Canyonlands National Park 212 kilometers away
- Arches National Park 219 kilometers away
- Kayenta, Monument Valley 220 kilometers away
- Aspen 233 kilometers away
- Santa Fe 248 kilometers away
- Albuquerque 268 kilometers away
- Vail 295 kilometers away
- Colorado 299 kilometers away
- Colorado Springs 320 kilometers away
- Page 320 kilometers away
- Torrey 332 kilometers away
- Winslow 357 kilometers away
- New Mexico 362 kilometers away
- Denver 373 kilometers away
- Bryce Canyon National Park 382 kilometers away
- Utah 383 kilometers away
- Grand Canyon National Park 393 kilometers away
- Estes Park 402 kilometers away
- Flagstaff 410 kilometers away
- Sedona 440 kilometers away
- Zion National Park 453 kilometers away
- Arizona 474 kilometers away
Photos of Durango
Accommodation choices for Durango
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Durango. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
An historic landmark hotel dating back to 1887, The Strater is one of the best-known features of this delightful Western town, mixing period elegance with Old West charm.