Reached by the unpaved 95 kilometre-long McCarthy Road (or light aircraft), this historic former ghost town has one of America’s most spectacular settings.
This tiny town of old wooden cabins and restored boomtown era buildings is car-free and provides a fascinating glimpse into the past, while at its doorstep are rugged peaks and raging rivers fed by massive glaciers.
McCarthy faces the Kennicott Glacier’s terminal moraine and the abandoned former copper mining town of the same name is not far away. In 1900 'Tarantula Jack' Smith and Clarence Warner discovered one of the richest copper deposits ever found here. When it was exhausted in 1938 almost everything was left behind and today the mine makes a haunting ruin to wander around.
Suggested McCarthy & Kennicott itinerary
This sample itinerary will give you an idea of what is possible when you travel in McCarthy & Kennicott, and showcases routes we know work particularly well. Treat this as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of McCarthy & Kennicott
Places & hotels on the map
Places near McCarthy & Kennicott
- Wrangell St. Elias National Park 70 kilometers away
- Valdez 168 kilometers away
- Tok 219 kilometers away
- Prince William Sound 224 kilometers away
- Anchorage 355 kilometers away
- Seward 365 kilometers away
- Cooper Landing 366 kilometers away
- Talkeetna 375 kilometers away
- Denali Park Entrance 379 kilometers away
- Kenai Peninsula 403 kilometers away
- Denali National Park 446 kilometers away
- Fairbanks 447 kilometers away
- Glacier Bay National Park 468 kilometers away
Accommodation choices for McCarthy & Kennicott
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit McCarthy & Kennicott. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
Ideas for experiencing McCarthy & Kennicott
Our specialists seek out authentic ways to get to know the places that could feature in your trip. These activities reflect some of the experiences they've most enjoyed while visiting McCarthy & Kennicott, and which use the best local guides.