Visit Crater Lake National Park, USA
Despite Oregon's scenic beauty, Crater Lake is the state's only national park. This magnificent lake, the deepest in the USA, was created some 7700 years ago during a mighty volcanic explosion.
Rolling mountains, volcanic peaks and evergreen forests surround this enormous lake, a sacred place for the indigenous Klamath Native Americans for millennia.
In summer the lake's intense blue colour and spectacular wildflower-strewn mountain scenery makes it a breathtaking place to visit. In the winter time, the park opens up like a winter wonderland.
From June until mid October visitors can drive along the awe-inspiring Rim Drive along the crater's edge, whilst boat cruises and scenic but quite strenuous hiking trails also beckon.
Look out for Wizard Island, the lake's largest, which is actually the tip of a still rising cinder cone.
Suggested itineraries featuring Crater Lake National Park
Our itineraries will give you suggestions for what is possible when you travel in Crater Lake National Park, and they showcase routes we know work particularly well. Treat them as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Crater Lake National Park
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Crater Lake National Park
- Oregon 158 kilometers away
- Bend (Sisters) 161 kilometers away
- Crescent City 214 kilometers away
- Newport, Oregon 248 kilometers away
- Trinidad 265 kilometers away
- Eureka 290 kilometers away
- Portland 295 kilometers away
- Cannon Beach 364 kilometers away
- Mt. St. Helen's 367 kilometers away
- Mendocino 425 kilometers away
- Mount Rainier National Park 446 kilometers away
- Lake Tahoe 459 kilometers away
Accommodation choices for Crater Lake National Park
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Crater Lake National Park. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.