Visit Jekyll Island, Deep South
Georgia's Golden Isles, Jekyll, St. Simon's, Sea Island, Little St. Simon's and Cumberland Island have a long and colourful history. Wealthy planters from South Carolina set down their roots here, attracted by the perfect growing conditions for “sea island” cotton.
Jekyll Island, Deep South
Georgia's Golden Isles, Jekyll, St. Simon's, Sea Island, Little St. Simon's and Cumberland Island have a long and colourful history. Originally settled by the Spanish, wealthy planters from South Carolina set down their roots here after the American Revolution, attracted by the perfect growing conditions for “sea island” cotton.
In 1887 Jekyll Island was bought for use as an exclusive club by a group of millionaires, including the Rockefeller and Vanderbilt families, who were enchanted with the islands' pristine beauty. Their opulent Gilded Age homes still stand as testimony to a vanished age. The other islands are well worth visiting, especially Cumberland Island, which has pristine maritime forests, undeveloped beaches and wide marshes that are now protected by the National Park Service.
Suggested itineraries featuring Jekyll Island
Our itineraries will give you suggestions for what is possible when you travel in Jekyll Island, and they showcase routes we know work particularly well. Treat them as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Jekyll Island
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Jekyll Island
- Fernandina Beach 45 kilometers away
- Savannah 117 kilometers away
- St Augustine 132 kilometers away
- Charleston 237 kilometers away
- Crystal River 267 kilometers away
- Tallahassee 282 kilometers away
- Orlando 282 kilometers away
- Cape Canaveral 309 kilometers away
- Tampa 362 kilometers away
- Florida 363 kilometers away
- Clearwater 371 kilometers away
- Atlanta 408 kilometers away
- Anna Maria Island 417 kilometers away
- Sarasota 430 kilometers away
- Panama City Beach 432 kilometers away
- Charlotte 466 kilometers away
- Wilmington 479 kilometers away
Accommodation choices for Jekyll Island
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Jekyll Island. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.