Mombasa, the second largest city in Kenya, is located on Mombasa Island. It is a steamy, tropical, low rise city with asymmetrical streets, a languid pace and a diverse and intriguing population.
Mombasa is mostly a Swahili town. Women chatter by in dark bui-bui or wrapped in brilliant multi-colored kangas. There are dozens of intricate mosques and temples, pungent open air markets, and mazes of narrow lanes crowded with street stalls.
Beaches of Mombasa
Stretching north of Mombasa there are miles of idyllic white sandy beaches. The nearest beach is Nyali Beach, and then Bamburi, Shanzu and Kikambala stretch north. All have a number of large hotels.
The beaches all have soft white sand and many are backed by profusions of palms. There are offshore coral reefs which protect the beach and make superb snorkel spots.
From June to September the beaches have a lot of seaweed washed up onto them. The best time to visit them is from October to April.
Suggested itinerary featuring Mombasa
This sample itinerary will give you an idea of what is possible when you travel in Mombasa, and showcases routes we know work particularly well. Treat this as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Mombasa
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Mombasa
- Diani Beach 22 miles away
- Kenya's Coastline 34 miles away
- Funzi Island 40 miles away
- Watamu 55 miles away
- Tsavo East National Park 106 miles away
- The Parks & Reserves of Southern Kenya 111 miles away
- The Tana Delta 113 miles away
- Tsavo West National Park 127 miles away
- Lamu Archipelago 149 miles away
- The Chyulu Hills 164 miles away
- Amboseli National Park 201 miles away
- Nairobi 275 miles away
- Shompole Magadi 279 miles away