Nairobi is the largest city in East Africa. It began as a shantytown depot for the East Africa Railroad in 1899 and in 95 years it has become one of the major cities of modern Africa and headquarters of the United Nations.
Nairobi has received bad press in the past, especially with regards to security. It is still not recommended to walk at night, especially in unlit areas and you will notice that your driver may not stop at traffic lights. During the day it is a different matter though. Huge increases in security mean that you can happily wander about, shopping and sightseeing at ease.
It is an interesting place to visit for a day or two, a mosaic of races and cultures and a vibrant and growing city.
Many of the tourist attractions of Nairobi are located in the upmarket suburb of Karen. This is a lovely part of town, wide streets, cattle grazing on the verges, and a variety of houses hiding under leafy trees.
Nairobi's Giraffe Centre
One of the most interesting attractions is a visit to the Giraffe Centre. Run by the African Fund for Endangered Wildlife visitors can feed Rothschild giraffe, learn about giraffe conservation and admire the lively warthogs.
Daphne Sheldrick Orphanage
Also in this part of town is the Daphne Sheldrick Orphanage where you can observe baby elephant from close quarters and the Karen Blixen museum. Finally of course, there is the shopping. You can find everything in Nairobi from soapstone carvings to bright African fabrics, wood carvings and of course the lovely ceramics at Kazuri Beads.
Suggested itineraries featuring Nairobi
Our itineraries will give you suggestions for what is possible when you travel in Nairobi, and they showcase routes we know work particularly well. Treat them as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Nairobi
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Nairobi
- Lake Naivasha 48 miles away
- Shompole Magadi 71 miles away
- Loita Hills 73 miles away
- Lake Nakuru 81 miles away
- Lakes of the Great Rift Valley 81 miles away
- Ol Pejeta Conservancy 94 miles away
- Amboseli National Park 96 miles away
- Sosian Ranch 109 miles away
- The Chyulu Hills 114 miles away
- Lewa Wilderness Conservancy 114 miles away
- Il Ngwesi Group Ranch 117 miles away
- Borana Ranch 122 miles away
- Ol Lentille Conservancy 127 miles away
- Masai Mara National Reserve 130 miles away
- Loisaba Wilderness Conservancy 135 miles away
- Meru National Park 135 miles away
- The Parks & Reserves of Northern Kenya 138 miles away
- The Laikipia Plateau 141 miles away
- Samburu National Reserve 141 miles away
- Shaba National Reserve 154 miles away
- Karisia Hills 163 miles away
- Tsavo West National Park 167 miles away
- The Parks & Reserves of Southern Kenya 168 miles away
- Tsavo East National Park 173 miles away
- Matthews Mountain Range 173 miles away
- Lake Victoria 198 miles away
- The Tana Delta 258 miles away
- Watamu 264 miles away
- Kenya's Coastline 264 miles away
- Mombasa 275 miles away
- Diani Beach 285 miles away
- Funzi Island 291 miles away
- Lamu Archipelago 292 miles away