Visit Il Ngwesi Group Ranch, Kenya
The Il Ngwesi Group Ranch is north of Mount Kenya and covers an area of 16,500 hectares. The ranch is far from any towns and on the edge of Kenya's Laikipia Plateau.
Here, land stretches endlessly to the horizon, you will not see a single light at night and the calls of the wild surround you.
Local Maasai communities
The ranch is not a ranch in the traditional sense of the word. Rather it is a huge tract of land owned by many Maasai villages. The villages have still kept their traditional ways, however, have scaled down their livestock, are actively protecting the game and have opened a small lodge. All profits brought in by tourists are divided among the local community and help to support nearly five hundred households and their schools, cattle dips, water supplies and other group ranch operations.
Wildlife of Il Ngwesi
The awareness of the financial value of wildlife has resulted in the corresponding increase in wildlife numbers in the conservancy. Herds of up to 400 elephant have been seen and the calls of lion and leopard are often heard at night. A black rhino, Omni, has recently been relocated from Lewa, making it the first black rhino in Il Ngwesi in over twenty years. In addition to this, guests may also see impala, Grant's gazelle, buffalo, eland, gerenuk and Grevy's and Burchell's zebra on morning and evening game drives.
All that said, a stay at Il Ngwesi is as much about learning about Maasai culture as it is enjoying the game and wilderness that this wonderful part of Kenya has to offer.
Map of Il Ngwesi Group Ranch
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Il Ngwesi Group Ranch
- Lewa Wilderness Conservancy 10 miles away
- Borana Ranch 12 miles away
- Ol Lentille Conservancy 22 miles away
- Samburu National Reserve 25 miles away
- Ol Pejeta Conservancy 36 miles away
- Loisaba Wilderness Conservancy 40 miles away
- Sosian Ranch 44 miles away
- Shaba National Reserve 45 miles away
- Matthews Mountain Range 58 miles away
- Meru National Park 60 miles away
- Karisia Hills 62 miles away
- The Parks & Reserves of Northern Kenya 63 miles away
- The Laikipia Plateau 86 miles away
- Lake Nakuru 98 miles away
- Lakes of the Great Rift Valley 98 miles away
- Lake Naivasha 101 miles away
- Nairobi 117 miles away
- Loita Hills 172 miles away
- Mara Naboisho Conservancy 183 miles away
- Shompole Magadi 184 miles away
- Mara North Conservancy 187 miles away
- The Chyulu Hills 203 miles away
- Masai Mara National Reserve 204 miles away
- Amboseli National Park 204 miles away
- Lake Victoria 228 miles away
- The Parks & Reserves of Southern Kenya 234 miles away
- Tsavo East National Park 239 miles away
- Tsavo West National Park 261 miles away
- Kenya's Northern Frontier 265 miles away
- The Tana Delta 287 miles away