Visit Lake Nakuru, Kenya
The first thing you will see approaching Lake Nakuru is a roseate cloud along the shoreline.
Lake Nakuru's famous pink flamingos
As you approach the pink mass it turns into the shapes of birds, millions of flamingos. It is one of the sights you associate with East Africa and a spectacle of immense beauty.
The waters of Lake Nakuru are rich in blue-green algae and diatoms that lesser flamingos feed on. Together with them, it is possible to see up to 400 species of birds: hundreds of pelicans, spoonbills, yellowbilled storks and more.
Wildlife of Lake Nakuru
Surrounding the lake, a game reserve has been created. Black rhino are protected here and can be seen along with Bohor reed-buck, defassa waterbuck, Rothschild giraffe, lion and hyena.
The lake and surrounds make an ideal overnight stop en route to the Mara or the Aberdares or a perfect spot for a picnic lunch.
Suggested itineraries featuring Lake Nakuru
This sample itinerary will give you an idea of what is possible when you travel in Lake Nakuru, and showcases routes we know work particularly well. Treat this as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Lake Nakuru
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Lake Nakuru
- Lakes of the Great Rift Valley less than 5 miles away
- Lake Naivasha 34 miles away
- Sosian Ranch 62 miles away
- Ol Pejeta Conservancy 62 miles away
- The Laikipia Plateau 69 miles away
- Nairobi 81 miles away
- Loisaba Wilderness Conservancy 89 miles away
- Mara Naboisho Conservancy 90 miles away
- Mara North Conservancy 91 miles away
- Loita Hills 91 miles away
- Ol Lentille Conservancy 94 miles away
- Il Ngwesi Group Ranch 98 miles away
- Lewa Wilderness Conservancy 103 miles away
- Masai Mara National Reserve 108 miles away
- Borana Ranch 109 miles away
- Karisia Hills 112 miles away
- Shompole Magadi 118 miles away
- Samburu National Reserve 121 miles away
- Matthews Mountain Range 137 miles away
- Lake Victoria 137 miles away
- Shaba National Reserve 142 miles away
- Meru National Park 148 miles away
- The Parks & Reserves of Northern Kenya 152 miles away
- Amboseli National Park 173 miles away
- The Chyulu Hills 195 miles away
- Tsavo West National Park 247 miles away
- The Parks & Reserves of Southern Kenya 247 miles away
- Tsavo East National Park 252 miles away
- Kenya's Northern Frontier 296 miles away
Photos of Lake Nakuru
Accommodation choices for Lake Nakuru
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Lake Nakuru. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
Tucked away in The Great Rift Valley, on the private 6,400 acre Congreve Conservancy, Mbweha is nestled up against the southern border of Lake Nakuru National Park.