To the north of Mount Kenya, the Lewa Wildlife Conservancy stretches for over 45,000 acres. Its story begins with a man named Ian Craig, who took over the running of his parents' cattle farm in 1977.
The Lewa Wildlife Conservancy
Wildlife used to roam free on the farm, but in the seventies increased poaching threatened the existence of many animals. In 1983, due to the plight of the rhino which had all been killed when they wandered off the farm, a rhino sanctuary was made from 5,000 acres of the ranch. This then grew to 10,000 acres and then in 1995 the entire farm was turned into the Lewa Wildlife Conservancy. Eventually neighboring land was also incorporated, including the Ngara Ndara forest to the south.
Wildlife of Lewa
As the conservancy has grown, the amount of wildlife it supports has increased and now you can enjoy some rewarding game viewing here. Both Grevy's and common zebra can be found on the open grass plains alongside Grant's gazelle, buffalo, reticulated giraffe, Beisa oryx, eland and impala. Black and white rhino are both found and predators are well represented with lion, cheetah, leopard and hyena. During the heat of the late morning many of these animals converge at the swamps to drink. Waterbuck are always nearby and large elephant herds are frequent visitors so sometimes it is possible to see hundreds of animals all in one spot. Finally, the lucky may spot the rare swamp-dwelling antelope, the sitatunga.
Map of Lewa Wilderness Conservancy
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Lewa Wilderness Conservancy
- Borana Ranch 8 miles away
- Il Ngwesi Group Ranch 10 miles away
- Samburu National Reserve 28 miles away
- Ol Lentille Conservancy 32 miles away
- Ol Pejeta Conservancy 41 miles away
- Shaba National Reserve 42 miles away
- Loisaba Wilderness Conservancy 50 miles away
- Meru National Park 51 miles away
- Sosian Ranch 52 miles away
- The Parks & Reserves of Northern Kenya 55 miles away
- Matthews Mountain Range 64 miles away
- Karisia Hills 72 miles away
- The Laikipia Plateau 96 miles away
- Lake Naivasha 103 miles away
- Lake Nakuru 103 miles away
- Lakes of the Great Rift Valley 103 miles away
- Nairobi 114 miles away
- Loita Hills 173 miles away
- Shompole Magadi 183 miles away
- Mara Naboisho Conservancy 186 miles away
- Mara North Conservancy 191 miles away
- The Chyulu Hills 196 miles away
- Amboseli National Park 199 miles away
- Masai Mara National Reserve 207 miles away
- The Parks & Reserves of Southern Kenya 225 miles away
- Tsavo East National Park 231 miles away
- Lake Victoria 235 miles away
- Tsavo West National Park 254 miles away
- Kenya's Northern Frontier 273 miles away
- The Tana Delta 277 miles away
- Lamu Archipelago 297 miles away
Photos of Lewa Wilderness Conservancy
Accommodation choices for Lewa Wilderness Conservancy
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Lewa Wilderness Conservancy. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
Situated in a conservancy known for its success in protecting rhino, Lewa Safari Camp is a family friendly property in leafy surrounds.
Lewa Wilderness Trails is a fabulous place to stay. The rooms are luxurious and lodge welcoming and relaxed. There is always something to see from the lodge and the wildlife in the conservancy is excellent.