A few miles off the coast of northern Kenya, the Lamu Archipelago is peaceful and beautiful.
Transport is by donkey or on foot, beaches are deserted and the most common sounds are the wind in the grass or the creak of a dhow.
There are two main islands in the archipelago — Lamu Island and Manda Island. Sprinkled about these in the turquoise sea are tiny coral atolls and white sandbanks.
Most visitors to the archipelago base themselves on Lamu Island. At 16 kilometers long and seven kilometers wide, it resembles a miniature version of Zanzibar but is much quieter. On the northeast coast Lamu Town is a World Heritage Site that simply must be explored. Venturing further afield you will find the 12-kilometer beach on the south coast and the pretty fishing village of Shela.
A short boat ride away, Manda Island is quieter still, with beaches just made for picnics and relaxing in the sun.
Map of Lamu Archipelago
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Lamu Archipelago
- The Tana Delta 45 miles away
- Watamu 96 miles away
- Kenya's Coastline 117 miles away
- Mombasa 149 miles away
- Tsavo East National Park 152 miles away
- The Parks & Reserves of Southern Kenya 152 miles away
- Diani Beach 170 miles away
- Funzi Island 188 miles away
- The Chyulu Hills 214 miles away
- Tsavo West National Park 217 miles away
- The Parks & Reserves of Northern Kenya 250 miles away
- Meru National Park 253 miles away
- Amboseli National Park 262 miles away
- Nairobi 292 miles away
- Shaba National Reserve 295 miles away
- Lewa Wilderness Conservancy 297 miles away
- Borana Ranch 298 miles away